See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2013 upgrade yet? - softaware stability, crashes & bugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2013 upgrade yet? - softaware stability, crashes & bugs

We are yet to try out Revit 2013. However I know there are people out there giving it a go.

Last upgrade there was a Thread for logging crashes and bugs. I haven't seen any reports of issues, apart from people struggling to get the required library content to install.

If you have installed it how are you getting on? Is it stable and usable?

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 upgrade yet? - softaware stability, crashes & bugs

I installed mine from the USB drive and it crashes often. We were working on a project in 2012 and I'm glad I retained that version to finish the project and give Autodesk time to correct the stability issues. Each time it crashes I send the report in hopes that it help them figure out the issues. It should be more stable. I also have issues with the complete installation of some of the other programs, like AutoCad Arch and several other of the AutoCad flavors. It doesn't affect me much as I don't use them anyway, just AutoCad from the offending bunch.

Overall, I like the ease of installation from the USB drive, just don't need the bugs.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've installed it and played with the new features with no problems, but my policy is to not convert existing projects. The next small project I get will be done in 2013, but as a veteran user I handle the new releases like radioactive material: I'll have metaphorical elbow high gloves, facemask, and tongs while I am handling it, ready for it to explode.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We upgraded as soon as it came out, and we converted all of our existing projects to 2013. In terms of crashes and idiosyncrasies, it hasn't been any worse than 2012.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nickedemus617061 View Post
    We upgraded as soon as it came out, and we converted all of our existing projects to 2013. In terms of crashes and idiosyncrasies, it hasn't been any worse than 2012.
    Would you care to elaborate? When I upgraded to 2012, I just opened it and had no issues.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Would you care to elaborate? When I upgraded to 2012, I just opened it and had no issues.
    2012 crashed on me a bunch of times. Usually, it saved my work in a recovery file and it wasn't a big deal. Once or twice, I did lose work.

I would say more, but I haven't been especially vigilant. I can say with confidence that I haven't been cursing 2013 for being more troublesome than 2012. I'm not a huge fan of the new materials editor, but that's not really a big deal imho.

Quote Originally Posted by arb View Post
    Out of curiosity, which new features compelled you to upgrade? None of the members of our inter-office design team are too motivated to upgrade at the moment based on the release notes.

- Alex
    It wasn't my decision, and that's probably why I'm not stressed out about it. My boss has the subscription service, so he just did it. All I need to worry about is dealing with it, and it's really not bad. One strange thing it does from time to time is zoom completely out for no apparent reason. Usually when that happens, I'm scrolling with my mouse.

If upgrading was my decision to make, I probably would have waited for a while longer mainly due to the fact that Revit never lets you down-save. That restriction offends my finer sensibilities.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Yes Revit never let you down-save /save back as previous version. This needs to change and we the users need to lobby Autodesk until it does! - saving backwards one release would be fine.

New features worth upgrading are for us better IFC import & export, and ability to link view templates to views (long overdue).

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to the new visualization tools: Realistic style shows artificial lights and there is a real-time rendering option. Gradient sky backgrounds in elevations and sections, too, will save me the step of exporting and Photoshopping.

Also, the inclusion of divide and repeat commands in the conceptual modeling tool bring it one step closer to a solution I can use to replace Rhino and Grasshopper where we do quite a bit of conceptual design work.

Finally, the ability to link an .rvt file directly into 3ds Max makes the rendering workflow so much better.

There are tons of improvements that I wish it included, and I'm sure the bugs are annoying now but will be worked out with the service packs. Overall, I could upgrade (not in charge of our subscriptions... and we just upgraded to 2012 about 2 months ago), I would do it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nickedemus617061 View Post
    2 One strange thing it does from time to time is zoom completely out for no apparent reason. Usually when that happens, I'm scrolling with my mouse.
    There's a new feature that does a Zoom Fit when you double-click the mouse wheel. You're probably accidentally double-clicking while scrolling.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    There's a new feature that does a Zoom Fit when you double-click the mouse wheel. You're probably accidentally double-clicking while scrolling.
    Oh good. I feel less insane now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast