See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2013 upgrade yet? - softaware stability, crashes & bugs

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 upgrade yet? - softaware stability, crashes & bugs

Quote Originally Posted by arb View Post
    Out of curiosity, which new features compelled you to upgrade? None of the members of our inter-office design team are too motivated to upgrade at the moment based on the release notes.

- Alex
    We are required by our client, a government agency, to use BIM for all disciplines including MEP. Our MEP consultant informed us that although R2013 may have been an incremental release for architecture, the MEP 2013 release was a major upgrade. That, plus the fact that most of our consultants had already converted, convinced us to move to R2013.

Login to Give a bone

I commented earlier on in this thread:

"Yes, this is the most unstable release for me too, and I've been using Revit since V4. If you have a machine that's showing its age and are thinking about upgrading, think again. Anything that was just about good enough for 2012, simply won't work in 2013. And you can't upgrade to a basic spec machine, it has to be gutsy. I guess all the new bells and whistles have heavy requirements."

Turns out, we 'just' had to upgrade out hardware. Now we have done this, Revit 2013 is much more stable.

But I have to say, its all the bells and whistles that's the problem. I heard someone say a long time ago that it takes a software 10 releases to become usable, and another 10 to become unusable. When I first started using Revit, it was a simple sleek programme, and a refreshing thing to use instead of AutoCAD, which was just starting to groan under all the commands, a process that hasn't abated since.

Now Revit is starting to groan. Now it seems there are now multiple ways of doing things, various commands leaking in from CAD that we didn't require before and the complexity is getting worse and worse and as a result the computers we are using have to be very powerful indeed. Before we rush ahead and demand commands to do every little thing, can we just stop and ask 'is this really better?'

<rant over>

Login to Give a bone

We're just now starting to use 2013 here. Normally we make the switch and use the latest version for most projects within a couple of months of initial release. But this one has been different. I'm not sure if it's a combination of us just being busy and not taking the time to do upgrades on our machines, or me not caring that stairs is the only real change in RAC 2013 or what it is. But I've decided that 6+ months and two service packs is long enough. We're now going to use 2013 for all future projects, and I just upgraded a few smaller projects from 2012. Also got our deployment updated to include both service packs.

Login to Give a bone

Anyone have any "gutsy" hardware suggestions? Intel Xeon E5 - Quad Core 3.4Ghz going to work? Nvidia Quadro cards?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBaker View Post
    Anyone have any "gutsy" hardware suggestions? Intel Xeon E5 - Quad Core 3.4Ghz going to work? Nvidia Quadro cards?
    Absolutely not - massive waste of money for running Revit. You'll get much more performance per dollar with current i7 Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge quad-core processors and GeForce GTX 500 and 600-series graphics cards. A 2GB GTX card can be had for under $300. A 2GB Quadro card is going to cost at least $750.

I've been down the Xeon/Quadro road before, it used to be all we had in our office. Now about half our machines are running i7 processors and GeForce GTX or ATI Radeon HD cards, and those half have the best performance of all the machines in our office.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gbrowne View Post
    When I first started using Revit, it was a simple sleek programme, and a refreshing thing to use instead of AutoCAD, which was just starting to groan under all the commands, a process that hasn't abated since.
    Let me guess, did the creaking and groaning start just after Autodesk bought Revit out........ ?

Login to Give a bone

That is the exact opposite from what I have heard. I have been using Revit 2013 almost since release, and as an MEP user, the changes have been minimal. We were forced to upgrade by the Architects, with them saying the changers were huge for them...The issue we are having is that 2013 is EXTREMELY SLOW when its a model upgraded from 2012...anyone have any ideas why this might be??

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It does take a long time to upgrade models. Might have to do with project size. I'm not sure.

--------
    In the last two days I've run across a lot of little quirks in 2013.

1. I cut an edit-in-place void extrusion out of a wall sweep. After I finish the model, I am able select the void profile and open it back up for editing. However, once I'm in edit-mode, the pink lines are nowhere to be found!
    2. I can't get my baluster posts to sit on the same level as my bottom rail. In this particular instance, the baluster post sits 3.5" above the floor. If I adjust the baluster post offset to compensate for the difference, Revit doubles it to 7" below the original position, so that it is now -3.5". Yet, when I attempt to half the offset (1.75") Revit positions the baluster at 1.75". I feel insane.
    3. After editing a few railings, a bunch of blue Railing Extension Lines started appearing in some of my camera views. They were not associated with the railings that I had edited. I could click on them and delete them, but I could not undo the deletes. I ended up having two different top rails on the same family-type. Weird.

Not sure if these issues are unique to Revit 2013, or just some corruption in my file....

Login to Give a bone

Its not really the upgrade process that is causing problems. Once the project has been uploaded, doing any commands, especially panning and zooming in and out, and many others, just take 3-4x's the amount of time...sometimes longer when in more heavily congested areas. I have waited as long as 20 seconds after just panning, for the model to actually do the move and be where I can see it again.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JaredRegister View Post
    That is the exact opposite from what I have heard. I have been using Revit 2013 almost since release, and as an MEP user, the changes have been minimal. We were forced to upgrade by the Architects, with them saying the changers were huge for them...The issue we are having is that 2013 is EXTREMELY SLOW when its a model upgraded from 2012...anyone have any ideas why this might be??
    Very interesting.

I was told that the MEP 2013 version was far superior to 2012 by none other than the Managing Director of Flack+Kurtz, with his Senior CAD operations manager sitting beside him.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast