Thread: Dynamic Revit Elements?

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Revit Elements?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or is basic

We are a surveying company currently using autocad lt & skecthup to produce as built building surveys

I would like to upgrade to a integrated 3d / plan program so that sections etc can be easily extracted and also to build surveys up from laser scans in 3d as opposed to translating to 2d line work all the time which seems a backwards step

I have tried the trial of ACA and like it. i survey onsite with a laptop - can drop a generic wall in, adjust the thickness and move on. i can select a wall to triangulate the angle and when i rotate it, doors windows already placed come along to.

the project xref based modelling is a bit of pain however when the job is small, and changes in floor levels also seem unnecessarily complicated

hence i would like 'on the fly' adjustable generic revit content to add as i survey. am i correct in thinking that this isnt possible and essentially i would need to create a new family for every size of existing window & wall thickness etc.

any help appreciated or a 'revit' based survey methodology that anyone uses for alterations etc?

cheers
    Last edited by ryan425815; 2012-04-30 at 03:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Revit Elements?

You are half right...

Items such as Walls cannot have variable width components, so you would need to have predefined family types for the various thickness or create types on the fly as you need them.

Doors and Windows are normally created where the size parameter is type based mainly due to perfromance issues. You could create some simple windows and doors etc where the parameters are instance driven. This would allow the window sizes to be changed for each window as required. Please note that generally the width parameter is used as a formula for the rough width type paramater so you would need to remove the formula if adapting an existing family.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Revit Elements?

many thanks for the reply
    Last edited by ryan425815; 2012-05-01 at 04:11 PM.