Thread: Modular wall family

Login to Give a bone

Default Modular wall family

Here goes, hope some of this makes sense.
    Attempting to create modular metal stud walls, covered with EPS foam. The 6"studs will be inserted into an 8" piece of foam and I will need various sections of this wall (12" to 4'-0") which I can place in the model.
    I will also want a type and quantity schedule to give to the manufacturer.
    I'll scan and attached some of the details.
    Thanks for any imput,
    Andy

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Modular wall family

My first instinct tells me a line based family might do the trick but there are too many unanswered questions to give you a definitive answer.
    Do the pieces need to default to fixed increments? Do they need to account for joints? How much detail needs to be in the model? Can this be done with walls employing the split with gap tool? Do you need to account for openings? Are the panels always rectangular (no angled tops to accommodate roof slopes)? Are you looking for a shop drawing type solution (plan, elevation, for each piece/type) or just a plan graphic and schedule info for the supplier? etc, etc, etc.
    Best bet is to work backwards from the end results you're looking for and that will pretty much tell you what the best approach will be.

Login to Give a bone

Dimitri,

Thanks so much for the response.

Every day I'm reminded of how little I know about Revit and what power it will eventually afford us in the office.

I'm doing my best to reply: 1. Not sure what a line based family means...so far I'm able to create simple familes with Revit templates (.rft) assuming these are line based.

2. Assumed I could create a new wall type family(possibly a generic template name foam wall) that would be parametric and I could control the length through an instance property, have a number of wall sections at my disposal to add into the model and eventually quantify.

3.There will be T-joints and L-joints at the intersections and corners.

4.I'm such a rookie that I'm not sure how to get metal studs and framing into my model...very confused, i.e. "can not load light-gauge steel joists.rfa"
    5.Eventually I'm sure I'll need to account for openings, etc.

6. Not sure what you mean- work backwards from the end results.

Not sure how anyone can afford the time or patience to convert their offices to Revit but I'm determined...need all the help you have to offer.

Thanks for all,

Andy

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Andy,
    Based on a number of your posts I've seen here on AUGI (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...etal-Stud-Wall) I'm not sure whether you are trying to use Revit as more of a shop drawing tools than it is intended to be.
    Walls in Revit are a specific family type known as system families. They are placed as a whole but can contain multiple 'layers' that make up the assembly. Unlike component families you can't create new types outside of the project environment. As you place walls they will define an instance parameter for the length of each segment. Joins at corners and tees are automatically cleaned up and are not considered a 'condition' of the wall. The individual framing members are not something that is typically part of the wall assembly and generally not shown in drawings or in the model.
    The 'work with the end in mind' approach basically means you need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish and then figure out the best tools and approaches to accomplish those objectives.
    May I ask where you are located? Do you have any local resources who might be able to provide more specific guidance?

Login to Give a bone

Dimitri,
    I feel a bit of frustration in you last reply... not surprised, I've only been with Revit since last July after 20+ yrs. with Autocad (strickly 2d stuff for local structural engineers). Since picking up Revit after some work with Sketchup I became totally addicted and believe it is where the industry is headed. The problem is I'm convinced Revit can do just about anything one can imagine and now have convinced others. I relate all this rhetoric because there is a good chance I am asking Revit to do something it was not created for or is capable of at this time in it's maturation.
    It was only yesterday that I was handed the project by a local structural engineer here in Santa Barbara Ca. so I myself am still unclear as to all that will be required...got to start somewhere.
    I understand the basics of system families but thought I could create a new wall type family within the project and name it something else (8" foam w/ 6" mtl studs). It only needs to be parametric in length for now.
    These are modular houses with wall sections of varying length (2', 3', up to a max. of 4') with mtl. studs inserted into precut groves ( http://barrett-inc.com/pdfs/GigaPanel-Homes.pdf).

I just emaied the engineer to be more specific as to what we need.

Hope I don't drive you too crazy, Revit has almost caused divorce here in our household,

Andy

Login to Give a bone

If you're trying to do standard panels and then trying to do a panel layout drawing based off your model, yes it's possible, but also painful.
    I believe that there is a stud layout tool available (not sure how well it works) but if that's the end game is documenting a panel layout, i think that might work.
    Other option would be to play studs and wall sheeting as you would in field. Create a group of your panel so you can use it again. Create a project parameter for say "panel number". Apply that panel number to the group. When you create your elevation view, you can use a view filter based on panel number so that's the only one that displays. You could also do this with worksets, but parameters might be better since you would have your choice of showing the panels on either side as screened.
    I had to do a panel layout for a house before using ACA and had to build it stud by stud with unique layers for each. Turned out nice, but it was a real pain. Required lots of late night beers.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

David,
    Thanks so much for the reply.
    For now I'll have to proceed and struggle through...sure I'll have more questions.
    Think I start by creating a panel family with a parameter for length but not sure if I can generate a schedule from that?
    Your M. Lin quote is perfect,
    Andy