Thread: MEP Plumbing Fittings Jumped?

Login to Give a bone

Question MEP Plumbing Fittings Jumped?

I work for and architectural firm that has everything in-house, i.e. Arch. MEP, Structural, and Civil. I got a model for a project from the architect and started laying out domestic water lines. Last night the architect decided to change the finished floor heights which we copied and monitored in the MEP model. This morning I came in and opened the MEP model and see that my piping has moved with the change in level but my plumbing elbows and tees did not. I moved everything back into place but it’s no longer a connected system – delete and redraw. Anyone else run into something like this? Is this abug or maybe something I did wrong?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MEP Plumbing Fittings Jumped?

The same thing happened to me today. None of the pipe fittings have updated their height but instead they kept the same absolute position (and have even changed their offset value over their level). Furthermore, to add insult to injury, Revit believes all those pipes are still well connected, not showing any "not connected" warning signs, and if one pipe is modified (dragged, modified on elevation) the adjacent pipe fittings will jump to the pipe's ends. Have you found a solution to your problem (other than remodelling everything)?.
    Last edited by joaquin.araujo; 2012-05-29 at 11:02 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I don't really have a solution for this after it has happened, but can tell you it is because the fittings are absolutely coordinated whereas the ductwork is relative. In other words if you select a duct fitting and change it's level it will stay where it is and give a different offset value for the new level. If you select a piece of duct and change it's level it will move to have the same offset value on the new level. I spoke to some of the Autodesk guys at RTC about this but they couldn't give a reason for it, I don't really care which method they use - i just want them both to be the same.

When I have architects change thier levels I will stop monitoring for that level then select everything with the level and move it to the new location, then I will remonitor the level with the architect's one, the problem still arrises however if there is an item that is outside of what you selected that is still associated with that level.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your feedback! I am currently running all the existing updates for Revit MEP and will try again to modify only the levels. If the results change I'll post it here.

Login to Give a bone

After updating (BUILD 20110916_2132) the level change via Coordination Review went smoothly and error free (except some piping fixtures that were referenced on the wrong levels). I'm very relieved all this didn't happen near a deadline as the central file has been unavailable for 24 hours, but glad that some in Autodesk have been doing their job