Thread: graphic override of element in linked file

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default graphic override of element in linked file

Does anyone know of a way in 2012 to override the graphic of an individual element in a linked file?

I can tab through to select individual elements, but I can only change elements by category.

My situation is we have two tower files linked into the podium file. It is the podium file that we have our sheet set in.
    I'm working on a scissor stair section, and between the runs of the stairs we have a wall. I want to be able to make this wall transparent so I can use the linework tool to show the stairs beyond as hidden lines. I don't want to make all walls from the linked file transparent, ant I don't want to hide the wall in question from the view and draw in the edges.

any suggestions would be great.

I beginning to realize that linked files are the bane of my existence, and will likely avoid them like the plague from now on.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: graphic override of element in linked file

Set all walls to transparent, then use Linework to change the treads and risers on the other side of the wall to your Hidden line type (just do the top and front line of each riser/tread). Then change walls back to opaque. The linework hidden lines will remain.

You might could use the Show Hidden Lines tool, but I'm not sure if that will work to show lines through elements in linked files or not.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Set all walls to transparent, then use Linework to change the treads and risers on the other side of the wall to your Hidden line type (just do the top and front line of each riser/tread). Then change walls back to opaque. The linework hidden lines will remain.
    That is ridiculous! It works, but I can't wrap my head around that logic.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Yep, works to show things above a plan view, as well. In a floor plan with roof overhangs, you can set an underlay view to RCP orientation, override the line work of the roof eave edges, then turn off the underlay and the linework will remain visible.