See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Design options - multiple shown on same site

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Design options - multiple shown on same site

I've run into a snag with design options on a shared site. I did some searching and found this thread from 2005:
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...s-from-1-model
    The end result was essentially, "sorry, no. but that's a good wishlist item". I'm hoping somebody has made progress since then

In a nutshell, I have a building model with two design options linked into a site model. I would like to select one of those links and show it as Option 2. At the moment I don't think that is possible since the visibility graphics override affects ALL instances of the link.

I have attached an image of my project, where the issue is largely to do with the orientation of solar panels. The areas circled in red are where the panels show up under Option 2. At this point my best option is to tab-through and hide the panels on the second building and add in panels on top of the linked roof within the site model. It's not a great solution but it works.

Has anyone come across a better method? I'm looking at you, residential developers. It seems like this kind of functionality would be extremely helpful in placing multiple homes with different selected options across a suburban site.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    -LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design options - multiple shown on same site

Quote Originally Posted by LP Design View Post
    At the moment I don't think that is possible since the visibility graphics override affects ALL instances of the link.

-LP
    Well you can turn off and on Design Options in the linked models. If the panels are on an actual Design Option type VG and click ont he Revit Links Tab. Select the Linked in model and pick Custom under Display Settings. When the RVT Link Display Setting Menu opens pick the Design Options Tab. From the drop down pick Custom and change the Design Option that you want to display. It defaults to <Automatic>.

I hope this helps you out.

I'll try to upload a picture later when I am at my computer.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your response, but unless you are doing something differently than I am, it doesn't work. The problem is that there are two instances of the same model. That means that when you change the design option visibility as you described, BOTH instances of the model change. So in my specific case, the solar panels are either both on wing #1 or both on wing #2.

Again I immediately start thinking about residential work. Say you are working with a developer who has a floor plan with multiple roof options (gables vs. hips vs. parapets etc.) This would be a good choice for design options, but I can't figure out how you would render that on a single site. Overriding the Design Option through VG would change ALL houses to show the same roof type.

Login to Give a bone

Under VG>Revit Links expand the link and you will have the various instances listed below it. Remember each instance of the link has a different name. Each instance can therfore be overridden separately.

Login to Give a bone

Sure you can. I can't link in two instances of a model. I can copy it and have two different id's under my Revit Links tab in Visibility Graphics. Each instance has "Not Overridden" you can change those to custom and go into Design Options and switch which one you want on for each instance. See the attached picture below.

designoptions1.png
    Last edited by caddman13; 2012-05-01 at 04:48 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Perfect! That was it! I was setting the design option for the overall Revit link, rather than expanding to each instance before overriding. Thanks so much!

Login to Give a bone

Glad it is working and I could help.