Thread: UNC path vs. Mapped Drive XREF Relative Issue

Login to Give a bone

Angry UNC path vs. Mapped Drive XREF Relative Issue

I am experiencing a weird issue. I cannot set an XREF to be relative upon insertion. I have done all the usual fixs, like saving the drawing just prior to inserting the XREF and what not, but nothing has worked. I am able to insert it as a FULL PATH reference and then swap out the path with the "." and that works fine but I hate having to do it for every XREF and every drawing. I have even tried starting brand new files in the same folder and trying to insert XREFs as relative paths without any luck. Our drawings are on a server which we have mapped drives for. The one thing I have noticed is that when I insert the XREF as a FULL PATH it using the UNC coding (\\servername) instead of using the mapped drive letter (M. It is the only possible thing I can think of that is causing the issue but I have never heard of it before or have found any reference to it while searching the web. Anyone else ever come across this or have any ideas of what else may be causing the issue? Any feedback would be appreciated!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UNC path vs. Mapped Drive XREF Relative Issue

How long are your file paths? I've seen similiar issues when the network path is too long for AutoCAD to resolve with "Relative".

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: UNC path vs. Mapped Drive XREF Relative Issue

Our file paths are generally pretty long (\\server\drawings\client\project\project phase\XREF\"file name.dwg"). I can see how that length can definitely cause an issue. I also found the ghost in the machine as well that I think was causing it to substitue the UNC path instead of the Mapped drive. I had the shortcuts in my Places List stored as the UNC paths, so anytime I tried to navigate to the file, I was always going through the UNC path. I switch the shortcuts to reference the Mapped drive instead and now all seems to be working properly again! I've attached the before and after image of my Places list to show the differences.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UNC path vs. Mapped Drive XREF Relative Issue

Quote Originally Posted by avminkler View Post
    Our file paths are generally pretty long (\\server\drawings\client\project\project phase\XREF\"file name.dwg"). I can see how that length can definitely cause an issue. I also found the ghost in the machine as well that I think was causing it to substitue the UNC path instead of the Mapped drive. I had the shortcuts in my Places List stored as the UNC paths, so anytime I tried to navigate to the file, I was always going through the UNC path. I switch the shortcuts to reference the Mapped drive instead and now all seems to be working properly again! I've attached the before and after image of my Places list to show the differences.
    BTW, I'm pretty sure the combined path limit is 132 characters. I could be wrong.