Thread: Connecting Materials to Assemblies?

Login to Give a bone

Default Connecting Materials to Assemblies?

I set up my Materials in Analyze --> Volumes and Materials --> Compute Materials.I created my own Material Selection Styles too by selecting hatching I wanted for each of my materials and No Shading for Subgrade.

Do I need to do this separately for every alignment or can I copy one Materials setup to another alignment? How?
    What are subcriteria for?

I went to Civil 3D Help on
    "Understanding Point, Link, and Shape Codes"
    to "find info about Structures. Calculates the volume of one or more corridor shapes (as defined by the shape codes that are used to define the corridor)" because I have custom subassemblies.

My typical x-sec is a Dike with a geogrid top and back slope, the river side has large rip rap underlaid with a bedding stone. At the bottom of the river side rip rap slope, there is a toe of excavated material replaced with existing rip rap. I used a LinkMulti object to create the trapezoidal-like shape of the toe protection. I used pavement, shoulder or general sections to make the geogrid, riprap, and bedding stone pieces. I want to connect these 4 different closed objects in my assemblies to the Materials I defined to get quantities (and subgrade = 5 total):
    1. Geogrid
    2. Rip Rap - Large
    3. Bedding Stone
    4. Toe
    5. Subgrade

I set up the first 3 as "Structures" quantity types. Toe as "Cut and Refill" type. Subgrade as "Earthworks" type. I selected the shape I defined with selected hatching for each of them. If I can connect them to my assembly, will the hatching show up as I defined on my corridor sections?

I would like to calculate excavation for the Toe object separately and I am extending the Geogrid on the back slope so the cross-sectional length needed varies throughout the design - why I prefer to be able to calculate corridor quantities with Civil 3D.

I should probably attached a picture of my Assembly. I am also comparing 2 assemblies: one that runs on the dike centerline. The only runs on the Top of Bank Right. Doing that in 2 different sites.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Connecting Materials to Assemblies?

The 'styles' being assigned to your corridor through the code set have nothing to do with getting volumes.

However the styles (hatching, line color and layers) assigned to the code set are applied later when one creates the section views.
    Also be sure to selec the correct styles for each surface at the time you create the sample line group.

To get the volumes, first build the corridor.
    Then create and RENAME all surfaces for all links you are interested in within the corridor.
    Then create a sample line group, that samles along the desired alignment. You will also need to do this for any and all
    offset alignments if you are using them.
    Then one creates the take off criteria.

As for the question of Sub Criteria:

Add A Subcriteria

Adds a subcriteria to an empty material or to a material with existing subcriteria. For more information, see Calculating Volumes for Overlapping Materials or Overhangs.

How did you create your 'custom' sub assemblies?
    If by ployline, did you assign proper point, and link codes?
    If by generic links, did you create new point and link codes?
    If by Sub Assembly composer, did you create the new point, link, and shape codes?

If yes to any of the above did you IMPORT those new custom point, link, and shape codes to your codes set, and assign the desired styles to them?

Login to Give a bone

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Good to understand that styles will only appear in section views, not the assembly view.

How I created my subassemblies:
    1. Basic Lane
    2. Daylight Min Width, which I'm not even sure is working right (see my post where I got help on that in Autodesk forums here
    http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCA...ct/m-p/3365583
    )
    3. Link Multi (this was to create a toe of excavation in which will be placed existing rip rap removed from the slope prior to outboard slope reconstruction)
    4. Then just my slopes to surfaces

I don't know how to use Point, Link, and Shape codes in Civil 3D. I was proficient with point codes in Eagle Point 8 years ago. Unfortunately, that's not helping.

I did not use Sub Assembly composer. I see yellow circles which I think represent point codes. I probably need to find a good video on how to use these. Unfortunately, my timeline does not permit a full training course on that right now, but I will be sure to take some more time on that after this project experience.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Carrie,

Please send me or post an image of your typical section.
    I will then guide you to create your assembly using either
    sub assebly composer, a poyline, or generic links.

I'm not sure why you would use daylight min width, unless you don't care that the daylight slopes will vary.
    Because that is what that thing does, it alters the grade to match slopes, cut or fill so that it will match in the min width.
    And that would be why it doesn't appear to be working correctly.

Apologies for the delayed response, I am working on a contract in Doha, Qatar so there is a time delay between us.

Login to Give a bone

I tried to strip everything out of this drawing besides my main assemblies and alignment / sample lines. I will also post XML file of surface.

I have 4 scenarios trying to model:
    1. The simple 14 ft wide section with 2:1 slopes - alignment control at center of 14 ft width.
    2. The simple 14 ft wide section with 2:1 slopes - alignment control at right side of 14 ft width (not drawn yet).
    3. 14ft side Geogrid and rip rap/geodrid 2:1 slopes with toe material at base of rip rap on Right side only - alignment control at center of 14 ft width (not drawn yet).
    4. 14ft side Geogrid and rip rap/geodrid 2:1 slopes with toe material at base of rip rap on Right side only - alignment control at center right side of 14 ft width (drawn).

Using Daylight min width because I would like Civil 3D corridor modeling to extend my material to the existing surface instead of only single fill slope line/subgrade. Not sure if that is working as I intend.

Not sure why I am having trouble posting file. Will try again right after this reply posts.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mjfarrell View Post
    Carrie,

Please send me or post an image of your typical section.
    I will then guide you to create your assembly using either
    sub assebly composer, a poyline, or generic links.

I'm not sure why you would use daylight min width, unless you don't care that the daylight slopes will vary.
    Because that is what that thing does, it alters the grade to match slopes, cut or fill so that it will match in the min width.
    And that would be why it doesn't appear to be working correctly.

Apologies for the delayed response, I am working on a contract in Doha, Qatar so there is a time delay between us.

Login to Give a bone

Lohrmach_RedL-Dk_assemblies.zip

Assemblies in attached dwg

23012.01-TOPO-01-REPAIRED 2.zip

Surface in attached XML

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

NONE=No Materials.PNG

I would still like to see a drawing of the proposed section.
    This doesn't have to be to scale, just enough to show the design intent and constraints.
    I'll be looking at your file, right now, and perhaps it will answer the above questions.

Also based on your description that daylight object you have chosen is not going to do what you think it is.
    (or do you really want that slope to vary?)

OK,

I've seen the data first I think the issue with your materials is directly related to your chose of sub assemblies. You need to fill in some information in the sub assembly properties to get your materials to show up correctly in section views, and to to give you materials for volumes. (See attached, and fill in the NONE fields as required)

The same is true for the object you created from the Link Multi, AND you will notice when you Rt-Click on it that there is an option to ADD to assembly, this object is not yet a part of your assembly, so that is also creating a problem for you to solve.

Also please send me your Profile (XML) A little tough to test what is happening without all the information.
    Last edited by mjfarrell; 2012-04-10 at 03:43 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Elev 9 higher on abutments_434eef5cb17f4f0d812df839b083591c.zip

XML of typical profile attached, sorry for removing from file and not including as attachment.

My assemblies will be modified slightly, but the basic needs are the same. I will also be shifting the design alignment off center, but running it on center is good enough for now / the alignment I sent yesterday. Daylight min is looking wrong. Correct, I do not want the slope to vary. I want a material WITH a thickness to extend to an existing surface. Not just subgrade extended to existing surface.

I hope to use point, link, and shape codes also: connect points/links to special alignments/profiles - figuring that out later this week.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Use the daylight multi intercept sub assembly, it will place a lined material, and it will remain at the specified slope.

Watch some of the tutorials at the bottom of this page:

http://primeservicesglobal.com/tutorials.php