Thread: Problems with the Revit Structure Analytical Model

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Problems with the Revit Structure Analytical Model

I am currently using Revit Structure 2012.

Does anyone out there try to import or export structural analysis software to and from Revit Structure (RS)?

Our structural analysis software is RAM Structural Systems (RAM SS), which is a Bentley product. Our ideal workflow is to model the building in RAM SS, analyze it in RAM SS, and then export it to Revit Structure to produce our enigneering drawings.These exports tend to work out great when you import the model into Revit for the first time. We, however, are coming to find that over time when things constanstly change, as they always do throughout a project, we start to have serious difficulties in keeping both the RAM and Revit files "linked". We tend to keep losing this link and we do not know the cause of it and apparently Bentley or Autodesk doesn't know the cause either. We think we have narrowed it down to the problem being with the Revit Structure analytical model, but cannot figure out how the analytical model gets messed up.

I would really appreciate any feedback anyone might have regarding their successes, problems, or tips on their experience with trying to import and export analysis software into Revit.
    Thanks in advance!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems with the Revit Structure Analytical Model

Well I know the first thing you have to do is model all columns from one level to the next. They can't span. So if you needed a 4' tall post, you'd need to set the base and the use an additional level or an offset from level. You can't model columns with the same base and top constraint level.
    Next, your Ram model must be done in inches. Decimal feet for both levels and girds will cause goofy dimensions.
    We've gotten it a link to work once. After that we just leave them separate. But for the most part we don't bother. I've found it better to start a grid in revit, export the grid to ram and that's all we tend to do with the link (which we don't really do anymore). IMHO to many that ram and revit don't model in the same way.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems with the Revit Structure Analytical Model

Here is web page for RAM Revit Link Best Practices

http://communities.bentley.com/produ...practices.aspx

it is recommended that you maintain your two original models to keep them synchronized.
    Exporting or importing to other models will cause the models to lose their link and they cannot be resynchronized.

Such as saving Ram file to another name and importing back into Revit, this will break your Link.

Also with the current link you do not have to split columns in Revit for multi level, the Ram link will split the columns and use story height.

In Ram Structural System Sloping beams need to have column support on same level, can not slope beam from one level to another.

If you have structure to model with sloping beams that span from level to level, then Use Ram Elements and ISM Revit plug-in.