Thread: Error loading Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Error loading Family

I recently tried to load a diffuser family into Revit MEP 2013 and I kept getting this error, "Types in the data file and the family do not match. row=1, col=1". When I close the box I get an "unrecoverable error has occurred" and Revit crashes and closes. I have loaded and used this diffuser family in Revit MEP 2012 with no problems. I am trying to load multiple types from the same family, but I'm only loading about 6 different types. I've never seen this error but I'm sure someone on here has and knows what it is. Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Error loading Family

was this 2013 project created from the same template as the 2012 jobs, or a different or stock revit template? check your units and mechanical settings in the new against the old project's, there could be a constraint or a rounding off in a setting that's not allowing certain dimensions or settings in some types in that family. make sure you have loaded all the fitting and duct types/sizes in the new template as well. have you opened and upgraded the family itself to 2013? try, and see if that gives you a more defined error.
    hth,
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response Mike.
    This project was created in Revit 2012 with the default template, then upgraded to 2013. The family has also been upgraded to 2013. I checked the settings to see if I could find anything that might not let it load. I couldn't find anything, so I created a brand new 2013 project from the default template and the first thing I did was try to load the diffuser family. Same thing happened again. I'm wondering if 2013 has some issues with families created in 2012 because I was also having issues with our plumbing fixtures.
    I did find that I could just drag the family into the project from windows and then it loads every type, but at least it works. odd though.

Login to Give a bone

I have figured it out and fixed it. The problem was the Family Types text file that references all the different types within the family. i deleted the old text file that was in the same folder as the .rfa family file, then I opened the family in the family editor, went to export, and exported the family types to create a new text file in place of the old one. I am still not sure what the error was exactly, and why it made Revit crash, but this definitely fixed the problem. I did not know how to create these Family Type text files until today, seems pretty useful especially if you have a lot of types in a family and you don't want to have to load them all.