Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoning Pyramid

Login to Give a bone

Red face Zoning Pyramid

Our local zoning code has something called a "Pyramid Law" which is a 45d slope from natural grade, the volume of the structure cannot penetrate. To convey it to the building department I've been making a glass hip roof on the property lines with a 12/12 slope. That is great for a flat site. Also, the roof works well because I can chop the roof off at max roof height of 32' per

The question:
    How can I display something similar on a site with varying topography? To use a "roof" I would need the eaves to rise and fall with the grade at the property line.

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Zoning Pyramid

As a matter of interest how is this pyramid supposed to work on an irregular shape site eg L / T Shape for instance?

Login to Give a bone

Well, they never really look like a pyramid, to spite the name. This one just happend to be a farmhouse on a farm field. Not much flatter than that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Your State must have an excess of land to play with ~ could never be workable over here(at least from ground level)

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We mocked up something awhile back when someone here asked about this issue. I'm trying to remember how we did it...pretty sure it was a family. I found the image, but haven't found the underlying project yet.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the try there, but the "roof" is just raised equally all the way around.

Here is a more typical site. The pyramid should undulate with the edge of the property.

I thought about trying to make an extrusion for each edge, but don't know how to go about it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Chris,
    Have you considered using an in place family that has a material with transparency? Create the solid to rise from the site as required. You can use voids to truncate it at any height or angle you would like.

Edit: OK, not as simple as I thought! I'll give it some more thought to come up with something a little more helpful.
    Last edited by Dimitri Harvalias; 2005-05-06 at 07:04 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Anyone remember the renderings from the 1930's by Hugh Ferris based on the zoning laws of NYC?

Anyway - I'd suggest an In-Place Family (Generic Model). Might as well give it an Object Subcategory for visibility and exporting purposes.

All the best -

Phil

I could stop if I wanted to cosmickingpin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah the massing tool would probably work well for you. Editibilti and visibility control would work best for you. Now here is my rant:

Every little hamlet, village, township, you name it has its own little insane and complicated set of rules which make no sense whatsoever! Upstate and Western NY are some oof the wackiest in the country I have seen, and where I live in michigan runs a close second. Illinois now, I actually had a city code official tell me to draw what ever set backs I liked and if it looked good it was fine. Nothing in the ordinace (and it was 20 pages long, I kid you not), had any real restricions. and they just kinda used common sense and looked at everything on a case by case basis and guess what? everything was fine, no wacko buildings or anything crazy, the place looked great. Local zoning ordinance are generally a complete waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Evans
    Your State must have an excess of land to play with ~ could never be workable over here(at least from ground level)

Login to Give a bone

What is wanted is a 45 degree sweep along a line that represents the elevation of the site at the perimeter of the property line. Am I right? I really don't think this is possible in Revit. You can create the elevation line by creating sections at the property line and tracing a model line around the perimeter. What you would do with after that I'm not sure.Could it be exported into another program and imported into a massing family?

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast