See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Compatibility

Login to Give a bone

Default Compatibility

Have various versions of AutoCAD, am considering getting LT, probably 2013. AutoDesk lists the differences between AutoCAD and LT, and says that as dwg files they are completely compatible. OK, what happens if I use a command in an AutoCAD drawing that is not supported in LT, such as MText, and then edit the file in LT? Does it convert the MText to several lines of Text? Does it convert as the dwg is opened in LT, or only if I try to edit the MText? When I go back to AutoCAD will it come back as the MText it was created as, or will it be permanently converted? Similar questions for the other commands that are not supported in LT, but looking down the list MText is the only one I use regularly. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Compatibility

Phil, congrats on your first post.

I haven't done a feature comparison for a long time, but in addition to the answers you get here, I highly recommend downloading the trial and evaluating it for yourself to make sure it will meet your needs. You might also want to look a Bricscad.

Generally, if a lower product can't create an object that a higher product can, you can only do basic editing like copy/move/delete. But LT can open and view anything created in a higher product.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the quick response, Ed. I didn't realize that was something to be congratulated on You're right, with the free trial I can answer my own questions with actual files and issues, so I will do that. Again, thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Mtext? I'm sure Mtext is supported in LT 2013, it is in LT 2012.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nextvkin View Post
    Mtext? I'm sure Mtext is supported in LT 2013, it is in LT 2012.
    Maybe it was the missing Multiline (MLINE) feature on the list, rather than Multiline Text (MTEXT)?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

You would have problems in LT with any 3D objects created in the full version of AutoCAD because LT does not support, it can only view 3D objects. You might have problems with Arc Aligned text in LT because only the full version of AutoCAD has Express Tools, and Arc Aligned text can only be created there. But MText objects are fully compatible and editable across all versions of AutoCAD. There will be other issues too across the two versions, but for the most part a drawing created in a compatible file format in the full version will be fully useful in the LT version.

Dave.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Where did you get the information that MTEXT was not in LT? What version of AutoCAD are you currently using? Your informational source is bogus to say the least. Comparisons between AutoCAD and LT are all over the internet, no need to limit yourself to one marketing document from Autodesk.

The differences between the two are basic: no Lisp, no ARX, no VBA, no 'advanced' Linking from attributes, no 3D solids or editing or rendering, no 3rd party add-ons from the Apps store, no Express Tools, no Dimensions Contraints Creation, no Point Clouds creation. Pretty much everything else is the same between exact versions of AutoCAD and LT.

As suggested by others, get your hands on trail versions and explore for yourself. And drop whatever source of info you rely on know for software features

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thankfully, 2013 LT has added the Sheet Set Manager, so really if you aren't doing 3D you'll probably be 100% fine working with full AutoCAD. Note that on things like fields & attributes -- and I would guess but don't know for sure that it's similar with Constraints -- if someone sets up blocks or existing entities that use such, they'll still work / update fine using LT; you just can't make changes to the basic setup / add fields / etc. (without really wonky stuff like diesel-string input).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by StDoodle View Post
    Thankfully, 2013 LT has added the Sheet Set Manager...
    Actually, Sheet Set Manager functionality became available in 2012 LT.

Dave

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Oops, guess when work asked last year, I should've told them I could live with LT... oh darn.