Thread: 2013 view templates

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2013 view templates

I'm still relatively new to revit, so I've only started using view templates, and thus my understanding might be limited
    To me in 2013, it appears that once you have a view template applied to a view, you then lose all visibility overrides. So it looks like like now instead of having a single view template(let's say for stair plans), and overriding one specific view for a somewhat unique condition, I need to have a separate view templates.

Am I missing something here?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2013 view templates

You should have 1 view template for each type of view. When you apply a view template, you will loose every override you have.
    Hence you really want to set up a view template and use it once. You'll also want to make sure that you have all the settings for your linked files done as well.
    Other options for you to look at would be view filters. Here's where you can start to really refine what objects show up and which ones don't.

Login to Give a bone

I haven't really looked at it yet, but I do know that new in 2013 is "View Types" where you can basically define a template, apply it to views, and then any changes to the template will also update the views. Something I've been wanting for awhile. Haven't seen the behavior of removing override abilities. Have you tried overriding individual elements, either by right-clicking or typing EH if you want to hide that individual element?

Login to Give a bone

We've had the view type options available for a while in RS. You can assign a "default template" to a view type, but you have to apply it manually. If you make a change to the view template, you have to re-apply it to those drawings. It won't do it on it's own.
    Hiding and element in a view is different than overriding it to make it Red or something. Those are the kinds of things that will be lost.
    The view types are there so you can sort your project browser in a way that actually makes some sense.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cr_gixxer View Post
    I'm still relatively new to revit, so I've only started using view templates, and thus my understanding might be limited
    To me in 2013, it appears that once you have a view template applied to a view, you then lose all visibility overrides. So it looks like like now instead of having a single view template(let's say for stair plans), and overriding one specific view for a somewhat unique condition, I need to have a separate view templates.

You do not need differnt view templates for what you are describing unless you want to "lock" the view settings. The view template can kind of be throught of as a "shortcut" to apply a bunch of visibility settings all at one time. You can simply "apply" a view template to a view (from the view tab on the ribbon) to push all of the visibility settings from the template to the view. After the "push" you will still be able to adjust them as required.

In 2013 the "View Template" property of a view both applies the template settings to the view and "locks" the visibility settings controled by the template so the view template is now in control of the visibility of the view.

In previous versions if you made a change to a view template in your project you would have to manually go through all of your views and re-apply the template to all views using it. in 2013 if the template is set in the view properties you cna just change the view template and ALL of the views assigned with that template will change without further interverntion..

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    In previous versions if you made a change to a view template in your project you would have to manually go through all of your views and re-apply the template to all views using it.
    It's not quite that bad - we can always select all sheets in the Project Browser and then right click to select Apply Default View Template. Still, I prefer the solution in 2013.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    It's not quite that bad - we can always select all sheets in the Project Browser and then right click to select Apply Default View Template. Still, I prefer the solution in 2013.
    You are correct. The view template can be applied through the Project Browser, but it is still a manual process. Manual=Chance to forget or make an error. Of course now you can make an error adjusting a view template and the error is magnified. With great power comes great responsibility.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Of course now you can make an error adjusting a view template and the error is magnified. With great power comes great responsibility.
    I _that_ is why people like me get stressed when we're told that someone who's just been on a two day course now has access to the model...

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cr_gixxer View Post

Simple answer to your question....uncheck the box "new views dependent on template" This allows changes to all graphic choices and overrides.
    Good luck!!!!
    Steven