Thread: Divided Surface Alignment Issue (to Adjacent Divided Surfaces)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Divided Surface Alignment Issue (to Adjacent Divided Surfaces)

I am using the divided surface tool to create a complex curtain wall of-sorts, so I have a set of surfaces (made with the in-place massing tool) that share corners. I have not been able to figure out how to align these grids at the corners, so that the set of surfaces look somewhat continuous. If possible, I would like the patterned surfaces to look as if they are one fabric stretched over the form behind (but angular). Is there any solution to this?

I have scoured the internet for some sort of solution or workaround, but every tutorial is only looking at one surface.

I had thought that if I could join two surfaces together, this might work, but I have been unable to do this.
    Could making each corner line a divided path and manually creating a grid work?

Also, while we are at it, is there any way to remove that odd amount of paneling that sticks out over the edge of each surface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Divided Surface Misalignment with panels.pngDivided Surface Misalignment with gridlines.png

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Divided Surface Alignment Issue (to Adjacent Divided Surfaces)

When you select the division theres an icon that appears to configure the UV Grid. But i think in your case your better off using Intersects to divide

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Divided Surface Alignment Issue (to Adjacent Divided Surfaces)

Welcome, trarleo.

You're actually dealing with a difficult GEOMETRY problem, not necessarily limitations of the modeling tool you are using (Revit, in this case. Although solving the geometry in Revit in this case is probably harder than if you did it in say Rhino). You could probably get a few surfaces to have gridlines that line up in one direction, but then you'll find that in the other direction you have problems. Or when you have a triangular surface next to a bunch of rectangular surfaces, you'll have a problem. I think you should try an experiment: print a view of your form without gridlines or panels and try to sketch what you want. Or export the form into Rhino or SketchUp or whatever and start sketching what you want there. I think you'll quickly find that this is a very difficult DESIGN/geometry problem. And that Revit doesn't necessarily have the easiest of tools, so you're compounding your pain. Each surface has different edge dimensions, so you have to measure each edge and calculate the number of divisions. Revit treats every flat surface as a trimmed rectangle, so you'll never be able to have it divide a surface with non-parallel divisions, which is what you'd need if two opposite sides of a surface are different lengths.

I'm not saying there isn't a way to do it in Revit, I'm just saying it could be a lot trickier than you originally imagined. Personally, I'd model the form and panels in Rhino, then import them to Revit via Grasshopper with Chameleon. But that may not be in the cards for you depending on what software you have an are familiar with.

This is a really interesting problem, keep posting on your progress. Maybe I or somebody else can help with specifics.