Thread: TEXT SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS?

Login to Give a bone

Default TEXT SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS?

I am new at Revit and working my way through a Dan Stine's tutorial book...

But placing text is driving me crazy: when I place it, I know to end the text by hitting the "Modify" tool on the ribbon -- but it seems to be hit or miss whether the text I just typed in REMAINS; sometimes when I select Modify Tool, the text remains (hooray!)... but other times when I select the Modify Tool, the text which I just typed in DISAPPEARS.

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong, or is this a known bug!?

Thanks.

Robert

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TEXT SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS?

After you type and hit Modify the text is there, just not visible (display thing). Zoom in or pan, the text will appear. I like to click somewhere on blank/empty screen at the end of typing and then hit Modify or Esc to end the text command.

edit: Just went thru the Annotation and Dimensions chapter of Dan’s book (2009, Lake Cabin) and it says ‘Type Living Room, then click somewhere in the plan view to finish the text’ and then click Modify to exit text command if you're done typing. I think you missed that part . Good book btw, I liked it, it taught me a lot.
    Last edited by PijPiwo; 2013-11-02 at 05:32 AM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The intended technique to finish typing text is to click out side the text box. If you look at the Status Bar when you are typing text you should see this instruction: "Edit the text and click anywhere in the view to finish editing". In my opinion "anywhere" isn't accurate (technically), you have to click anywhere but within the text box.

FWIW, I don't think it is "intended" behavior that clicking Modify will finish editing the text. It only works if you've begun typing some text. If you've only clicked on screen and then click on Modify the "empty" text box is not left behind.

Login to Give a bone

I've been getting something similar. I type text, finish and the text disappears. Then I click where I know the text was and it reappears as normal. Its either a bug or a graphics card thing.

Login to Give a bone

Bear in mind that text, and annotation in general, is view dependent. If you switch views, the annotation disappears. This is normal. You will learn to love view-dependency.

Login to Give a bone

Very weird, it looks like the disappearing text is unique only to clicking "Modify" after you finish typing the text. I've never actually done it that way. I usually type TT to start the text command, click and then type the text, then click somewhere else in the view. After that, the text command is still active and the text is selected. You need to hit Esc twice to close out of the tool completely (Esc once deselects the text you just typed but keeps the text tool active, while Esc a second time closes out of the tool completely).

If you type your text, then click "Modify" the text tool closes out completely, and the text is deselected. But then if you move your mouse over it, it disappears until you zoom or pan or otherwise refresh the view. Very weird, but then again I NEVER do it that way and in fact seems like a pretty clumsy way to do it. After typing my text I always bombard the Escape key so I can get on with doing something else.

If you need to type more than one piece of text, it's better to just type and then click in the view, because that way the text tool remains active so you can click again to start your next piece of text.