Thread: Any Suggestions for creating frit pattern on glass

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Any Suggestions for creating frit pattern on glass

Does anyone have any good suggestions for creating frit pattern to glass? In other applications I have modeled a zero thickness surface that was set inside of the glass to replicate the second surface of an insulated glass panel and that surface has a transparency map with the dots or holes on it. I am not sure how I would approach this using revit. If I paint a material with the transparency map on either the inside or outside surface of my curtain panel, it won't render with proper refraction or reflection.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any Suggestions for creating frit pattern on glass

If you just need this for elevations, I'm thinking you might be able to use the paint tool.
    I'm not sure it's the best approach, but I think it would work.
    Did you want to see that pattern when it's rendered?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The purpose of the frit is to both visualize the space with the frit as well as see its effect of the brightness of the space. Attached is a snapshot of a test I did. I started out using the wired glass material and I replaced the wired glass image with an image of the white dots. My initial rendering did not show any dots so I went back and applied the same image as a transparency map. That seemed to work. Then I went back and removed the image as a material map and left it just as the trans map and the results looked the same. The thing that doesn't work with this though is you will notice as you look toward the bottom of the image that when the dots are at an oblique angle to the view angle, it starts to appear that you are seeing double dots. I presume that this could be that you are seeing dots on both the front and back face of the glass.

I realize that even if I can get this method to work, it may create a moire effect at a lower resolution or a shot from further away. This makes me think that I really need to just determine a way of translating the percent opening in the frit into a transparency value for the glass and leave the trans map pattern out altogether.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

If taken from an image up close, you may also be seeing the bounce off the back pain (if 2 panel glass).
    I think you're looking at it from a distance, you're approach seems correct to play with the transparency.
    The issue that may come into play, is the spacing. If I remember right, the last time I looked at samples, they pattern gets less dense at the bottom of the glass panel (near the floor line) so I'm not sure how you could accomplish that look.
    The other question is how well does this approach work with the daylighting images or energy modeling.
    I do like the effect you have from the image. I'm wondering if you cheat it a little bit from reality by spacing out your dots a little further, if you wouldn't get something closer to the actual look.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Can anyone show me their settings for this material. I tried this and it seems to be reflecting when the reflection and glossiness is down. And I can't seem to see through the material. Maybe it's because I'm applying a surface on top of a curtain wall?

Thank you.