Thread: Sheet Set Tables, Revisions and Attributes

Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet Set Tables, Revisions and Attributes

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of Autocad, and so far I've managed to teach myself most things with a little help from support and google, but I've hit a bit of a wall, and I think the main problem is I don't exactly know what I'm looking for to be able to get help.

I'm using ACAD2012 and I have just started using sheet sets, and each of my projects uses several sheets and then a drawing list which contains drawing names, revision numbers and so on. I found that sheet sets can input tables using data from the page such as author and time spent on drawing, but revision is unable to be edited. I have tried adding my own attribute for revision which i cannot seem to use. Ive tried creating a custom property for the drawing from drawing utilities but to no avail. I get the feeling I'm going about this the wrong way. Is there a specific way to make new revisions of drawings rather than just editing a number in a box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet Set Tables, Revisions and Attributes

One way is to use a Custom Sheet Property in the SheetSet, and reference that in the drawing by Fields. If you want it blank in the drawing, a %% in the field results in a blank field, instead of an underline. REV DATE, REV NUMBER, REV DESCRIPTION as properties, all defaulting to %%.

However, there are numpty different ways to handle revisioning - some based on industry practices, some on office traditions. Can you clarify how you want to address revision labeling? By set? by sheet? including revison history or only current? Alpha or numeric? prior to bid? post bid?

Login to Give a bone

I was never taught in CAD, I was brought into my job as a graphic designer and it just became my main job, I've taught myself but I have always tried to stick to standards and learn the correct way of doing things. At the moment the quality control is so up in the air that Im open to suggestion. My current draft system that is in place uses numeric revisions, if the fabricators on the shop floor discover a change that could be made then they fill in a revision form at the back of their "pack" of drawings. this is then drawn up as a protoype revision and sent to manufacture. If its a success then the revision number loses its prototype watermark and becomes the next revision.

To clarify I work for a company that manufactures steel trailers, so what Im currently trying to put in place is a system that hasn't existed here for 25 years. I have a drawing for each sheet metal panel, each assembly has its own sheet set, both panel drawing and sheet set have revision numbers; so if, lets say the right lip angle of a hatch (Cxxxx....) changes to revision 2, then the sheet set would be revision 2, containing panel Axxxx-1 Bxxxx-1 cxxxx-2. The reason being, a lot of our trailers come back for refits many years down the line and they want to know exactly how it was made, or what rusty panels to replace.

Sorry that was so longwinded!

Login to Give a bone

in this case, long winded is good! that's a very different arena from where I work, with very different needs, so I won't have a whole lot of useful advice for versioning. hopefully someone from the mfgr side will jump in with hard won wisdom that would apply.