Thread: Phase Override w/ solid fill and wall layers

Login to Give a bone

Default Phase Override w/ solid fill and wall layers

Hi

Is there a way to set-up a wall to have solid fill pattern while also showing the wall layers? I would like to be able to show new walls with solid fill while also showing the wall layers. It is easy enough to set-up the override for solid fill, but I can't seem to figure out how to also show wall layers.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phase Override w/ solid fill and wall layers

I want to say there's a way to do this by setting up your walls to look a certain way based on detail level (course view in this case).
    I think you should be able to do it sim to how they do fire rating walls with the "fire tape line" as part of the wall.
    I know there are many threads here on that topic.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I can only think of one solution but it may not be practical depending on your particular setup. Set the materials you are using in your wall to show with a solid fill pattern when cut. The downside is that this would show up in all of your sections, unless overridden in each section view (via view template maybe?). Do you need to show the walls like this in _every_ view in the project? Or only in a couple? If it is just for one or two plans or details it might actually be better to draw over the parts with filled regions.

-LP

Login to Give a bone

You can do this using the parts tool. Make parts from all of the walls you wan to show shaded and the layers. Now on the properties of the view, for parts visibility select "show both" that should give the look you are after. I would place a picture showing the result but for some reason the website is not allowing the upload.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies. I haven't worked out a great solution yet.
    Essentially, we need..
    1/4" plans to show course view/ solid color fill on new, no fill on existing (easy enough to set-up)
    1/2" keyplans to show medium or fine view, solid color fill on new (while still seeing the wall parts/layers), no fill on existing.

Why does the graphic override also override detail level when using the phase filters? But if I override an element in the a view, it does not affect the detail level?

Login to Give a bone

Here's a post the the Revit Clinic that explains the hierarchy of Graphics Overrides.

The reason you can't do both solid fill and Layers is that you are trying to do two different things to the same wall. In your case, you happen to be using the Solid fill pattern, but as far as Revit is concerned, it's no different than a diagonal fill pattern, or crosshatching. How would you show two different patterns in the same wall? What would you show? Just the lines between layers? What about the Material hatch?

To the original question, though: I know people hate to change long-established standards, but might you consider swapping? Make your Existing walls (which don't need any layer/detail) the solid fill, and use the Layering detail on the New walls.

Login to Give a bone

But you can do solid fill and layers if you "override graphic in view." Just doesn't work the same way in regards to phase filters. I'm not sure I follow the questions regarding showing different patterns in the same wall?

I'm just wondering why, specifically within phase filter overrides, does the override also override detail level?

Login to Give a bone

Forgot to mention...The idea to simply switch the colors to have existing show as solid and new show without fill could be a good solution, if no other options materialize...Just would need to remind contractor's the first few times...
    Thanks