Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, My Name Is......

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hi, My Name Is......

I agree, Stephen. I liked using the program and I think with just a little real training it would do a tremendous job for us. Even with all of the tricks it threw at me, I want to give it another try. I am keeping my old project alive on my own and will do a start over with it to see if I can find where I went wrong with some things.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Also, Stephen, did you ever solve you station format issue?

Login to Give a bone

What I did with an existing project was to bring it all into C3D and set up the surface display to look nice and pretty. With practice and patience (and templates!) this should get easier. Then I continued to work in LDDT, and didn't have to worry about accidentally deleting the contours (and especially the labels) when importing new contours etc.
    This is a pretty lame use, but it does allow an intriduction to styles and provide a better way of modifying contour labelling.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

What really stopped us was trying to get realistic numbers for cut and fill. The surfaces all looked very good and the design profiles were very smooth, but we kept getting very different numbers after changes in a critical profile and the engineers didn't trust the output. It was a small site with no room for the errors they thought they were getting.

Login to Give a bone

I haven't done this with C3D yet. Can you create a volume surface as in LDDT? At least you'd be looking at a picture of the volume as well as just a number. Numbers have a habit of staring at you and looking wrong

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by quiggle
    Also, Stephen, did you ever solve you station format issue?
    Yes, I solved it, but only the hard way, which isn't really very hard, just harder than I had hoped.
    Wow, that was cryptic. Sorry.

In short, station label formats seem to be set independently of each other in various places around the settings tree (eg. alignment labels, profile labels). I still don't know if changing the ambient setting can be used on a fresh set of settings to eliminate the need for changing each one individually. This is because I don't know how to start with a fresh set of settings... file>new creates a new file based on a template, which already has its settings, and the ambient settings have no effect.

In shorter, yes and no.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.cowling
    I haven't done this with C3D yet. Can you create a volume surface as in LDDT? At least you'd be looking at a picture of the volume as well as just a number. Numbers have a habit of staring at you and looking wrong
    We were not deriving the cut/fill numbers through the quantity calcultions. Our site had a peculiar layout thd caused corridor to generate a surface ofer the entire site. We found a utility to compare the quantities from the surface from corridor to existing rather than going through quantities. I do believe that a volume surface can be created with Civil 3D, but we never got that far.

How is your project progressing? I haven't heard reports from anywhere for a while but there must be some projects still going.

I have heard that the 2006 release definitely has piping and some other enhancements. We can only hope it will prove to be more stable than current.

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by walford
    Hello everbody,
    I loaded C3D on my computer to check it out. Seems interesting but have not got to deep into it because it lacks the pipe routines (i.e. storm and sewer) that I need. I guess I could switch back and forth from C3D to LDD but am to lazy until I am forced to.
    I also recently loaded C3D to my computer and tried to do a small project with it. I wasn't familiar with it at all and the boss had told us we couldn't install any new programs until we got less busy

Well by the time I had some time to try new software I had both 2005 and 2006 on my desk. I started with 2005 and was gravely disappointed. I worked for a couple hours on the project and had the software crash when I tried to edit something. I tried to open what I had done already and it gave me an error mesage. I tried to recover and got the same error. After going through this process a few times and being frustrated that I didn't have an alignment database, surface database, point database, or anything else in the project from which to re-build my drawing, I uninstalled the program and am reluctant to try 2006 until there is some serious downtime to figure out how to work it.

I do like LDT 2005 and have been using it since I installed the 2005 software. If I have to flip between two software programs to do every project, I don't think it would be worth the trouble. We are a small office that works on small projects. Why can't the objects of C3D be incorporated into the database type projects of LDT?

I found the C3D tutorials somewhat helpful, but they don't cover all of the features that I would like to use, if these features are available. If they are going to phase out LDT, then they need to incoroporate much more of the LDT features, including the pipeworks.

Login to Give a bone

We finally gave up on using AutoCAD in any form for our COGO stuff and bought Carlson. I have it working on top of LDT which I still prefer to Civil 3D. Someone on one of these forums finally came up with a solution to our original problem, but my boss decided he liked the way Carlson handled so many other things he wanted to go with that.

I've used AutoCAD for going on 9 years now and I have always preferred it to other CAD packages, but I think it's getting harder and harder to pick up for new users; I think new versions come out too often (we've vowed to only upgrade every OTHER year); and the support for it is too disjointed. I've taken seminars on it now and feel ok using it like we always have, but I'd sure hate to try to do anything MORE - or anything really different with it. And I still prefer LDT to Civil 3D.

Good Luck.

I could stop if I wanted to Ammon's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I can't claim the same amount of experience as you. I learned AutoCAD on r13 and r14. I have enjoyed most of the improvements and have yet to find a CAD program that I find as intuitive. What I've seen of 2006 it is becoming less so. Just in 2005, there are so many hidden commands that you can't find reference to in the help file. Forums like this is where you find out about settings and commands that you never knew existed.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast