Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hi, My Name Is......

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hi, My Name Is......

Go bucks!!

At our office, c3d was/is available to everyone. I put it on all the local systems and everyone has the ability to work with it. But they designated myself and one of my coworkers as the first to get into it. We had a reseller come in and train 3 other guys also. It is a work in progress, and you do have to decide which guys are going to benefit and pick up on this and which ones are just going to stay where they are at. We had the ability to go to AU, with our company picking up a large part of the tab, and in essence, they were trying to decide who wanted to improve their positions, and who didn't. Sadly only two of us signed up. But to our benefit the company paid the way.

I guess I said all of that to say this, bringing everyone along slowly works, and works best if you have a couple guys who can really get into the software, and use them to more or less train everyone else. Seems this software allows you to quickly decide who should be trained and who doesn't even need access to it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brian.wellert
    Seems this software allows you to quickly decide who should be trained and who doesn't even need access to it.
    This is one of the things that spooks me about Civil 3D...as nice as it seems that you can, for example, grip an alignment and revise it and have the profile update as well...it frightens me that someone could accidentally make a change to something without anyone knowing about it. Is there a way to lock/unlock these items once they have been finalized? If not, then I certainly would question who should be using the software and who shouldn't.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pferguson
    This is one of the things that spooks me about Civil 3D...as nice as it seems that you can, for example, grip an alignment and revise it and have the profile update as well...it frightens me that someone could accidentally make a change to something without anyone knowing about it. Is there a way to lock/unlock these items once they have been finalized? If not, then I certainly would question who should be using the software and who shouldn't.
    There is not currently a feature that allows you to lock alignments, a work around or idea to avoid accidentally moving these objects may be to create sub folders in a Land Desktop type format, store your alignment and profiles in one folder, your surfaces in another, your base files and so on and so forth and maintain an xref environment.

Login to Give a bone

Another option is, create your design drawing, and just create a copy for others to work in. Your second drawing, you can just explode they objects, so they are no longer dynamically linked.

No matter how you look at it, the biggest short falls in civil 3d is the restrictions for locking/exporting objects to a project, and the insane amounts of time it takes to plot.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Hi, My Name Is......

GO BLUE!!!!

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new here. Name is Deran, and I'm from Lakeland, Florida... originally from Michigan. I work mostly on residential subdivisions. My company just upgraded (finally) from LD3 to Civil 3D. Awesome, awesome program. I work in the survey dept. I start by creating the survey drawing of a vacant piece of land (anywhere from 20 to 5,000 acres) and create the survey drawing, including the surface. I then take the 3D surface and boundary and create the lot layout, roads, etc., and set up all fo the plan sheets and plan and profiles for the drafting department upstairs. This program pretty much rocks!

And oh yeah, Go Blue!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

~the first step is admitting you have a problem~
    My name is Rob, and I'm a Cadaholic....

Our company is making the transition to Civil 3d and I think this software has some great potential, but the performance issues are a big concern at this point.

Points: To delete points from drawings takes 10 - 30 minutes depending on number of points. I havent' even been able to get up the nerve to remove more than 50,000 points, but we have some projects with a million points or more.

Surfaces & Alignments: Copy Surface results in a fatal error every time.

Styles: Dragging styles from one drawing to another, results in a variety of errors.

Anyone else going through these growing pains?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by xstat21x
    GO BLUE!!!!

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new here. Name is Deran, and I'm from Lakeland, Florida... originally from Michigan.
    I am so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by xstat21x
    And oh yeah, Go Blue!
    Which Bowl is it that Michigan is going to?

GO BUCKS!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Stephen Reed
    Using CAD for about 5 years now. First release used was R14, then used just about everything in between then and now. 24 years old, self taught (on the job while moving a civil firm into its new building) I am located in Jacksonville Florida. Worked with the best Engineers in the state, and the worst as well. Moved companies and requested Civil 3d so I wouldn't lose my footing on the up and coming releases and having to do this all by myself in a small company =)

Dont know much about it, took a 3 day class on it so I will be trying to give as much information as I know as possible. Good luck to us all!

Login to Give a bone

Connie Barrett
    Land Survey and Civil Engineering Designer
    Currently Director of Data Visualizations at Pacific Soils Engineering in Southern California.

I've used autocad since version 2.6
    Back in 1988/89 DCA (then softdesk, then LDD) shipped in it's first version. They shipped the software before the manuals were printed.
    HA! That was fun, figuring out how to use it without manuals.

Versions 11-13 or 14 I used to teach the 3-day class.
    Nowdays doing a lot of 3D as it relates to design functions.

Login to Give a bone

Hey everybody. Been posting for a little bit now, and I thought I'd put my general info out. My name is Andrew Clink, and I'm a draftsmen working with a Civil Engineering firm in Glynn and Camden County, Georgia. Took a lot of CAD courses in High School, so this is a big career step for me. Anyways, I'm hoping to get some more knowledge on the new Civil3D stuff (the last one I worked on seriously was 2002 and 2004; talk about a jump).

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast