Thread: Revit Schedules Rounding up and adding up..correctly

Wish List Administration

Default Revit Schedules Rounding up and adding up..correctly

Summary: I wish that Revit could add up - So that when rounding numbers up in a schedule to 0 decimal places the grand total was the total of the numbers displayed in the schedule.

Description: I have found that the rounding of numbers and in my particular instance Areas does not always go to plan. Some figures you would expect to round up do and others such as 5.446 are rounded down. Either way the Automatic Grand total at the bottom of the schedule, should be a total of the areas shown in the schedule.
    Not the case for me I'm afraid. Have to always check these and then somehow override, just defeats the purpose.

My current sittuation:
    183 + 52 + 44 + 45 + 53 + 53 + 112 + 56 + 136 + 171 + 107 + 174 + 81 = 1266
    When it actually adds up to 1267

Looks great to our clients!

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Annotation Tools

Submitted By: Mark Abrahams on Thu, 03 May 2012

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Default Re: Revit Schedules Rounding up and adding up..correctly

Rounding plays havoc on reality or at least our perception of it. The sum of rounded values in the schedule alters how information is displayed in that location. What if they add up the values shown in another schedule or from a floor plan of room tags. What if someone asks for different rounding here and different rounding there. If we round room area in tags to the nearest square foot there will definitely be a bust somewhere else if people starting adding up numbers and comparing results between here and there.

What about areas calculated in schematic design with nominal wall thicknesses and then again after walls are changed for real wall dimensions and construction? Walls that got thicker as a result will generate smaller room area and the reverse for thinner. What if you don't identify chases and void space with room elements? No area for them in the schedule, now we've got missing area compared with the gross building area when you subtract the total interior "room" area from the gross envelope.

A landlord wants your area to be bigger to charge you more. I tenant wants the smaller number to pay less.

Before Revit we imposed our own rounding and addition and avoided the issue...but it's still there, just hiding. As soon as something is rounded a disclaimer should be provided to explain what kind of tolerance has been imposed.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2012-05-04 at 04:06 AM.