See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Table Data Extraction SORT COLUMN issue

Login to Give a bone

Default Table Data Extraction SORT COLUMN issue

Edited on 08.07.09: So I figured it out...you can jump down to the next post if you've run into the same issue and need to see how to do it.

I've been experimenting with Data Extraction from a block into an AC Table all within a single drawing. I've created a Window Tag Block [with a list of attributes in it] and want to transfer the attribute info into an AC Table to create a Window Schedule.

All is working fine. I get to the point where I'm prompted to SORT COLUMNS during the Data Extraction & Table Insertion process and so I sort the Column Headers as I want to see them in the Table -i.e. from left to right -- but the sorting does not show up correctly in the preview of the Table or when I finish all the steps and place the Table in the drawing.

As I created the Window Tag Block w/ the attributes I selected each attribute in the order I wanted them listed in the Enhanced Attribute Editor and ultimately as I wanted to see them in the final Window Schedule Table once i extacted the data to the table.

The created table 'headers' however read from left to right in alphabetical order and do not matching the SORT COLUMN order I set up.

SO, how do I control the Header sequence from left to right so the Table [Window Schedule] reads as it should??

the two attached image should help!

Thanks. d.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daniel.191403; 2009-08-08 at 01:44 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Table Data Extraction SORT COLUMN issue

At the request of a moderator here is the solution to how to change the Column title sequence when generating an AC Table from extracted data.

Originally I mistook the 'SORT COLUMN OPTION' button for doing what I wanted....and so after finding out it didn't actually sort the columns left to right as I wished I got a little stumped. Gee I wonder why!! lol

Anyhow the image explains it pretty clearly using the common click, drag, drop method.

cheers, d.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hi there,

I found another problem with sorting columns with data extraction and tables.
    Since AutoCAD (I believe) version 2009 and 2010 sorting numbers is a bit different then in AutoCAD 2007. In AutoCAD 2007 numbers are sorted correctly from small to large and reverse, as one would expect. But in AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD 2010 sorting numbers doesn't work as expected.
    If you have numbers like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 11: These numbers will be sorted as 1, 11, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Do you know how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Edward

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by edward.winter View Post
    Hi there,

I found another problem with sorting columns with data extraction and tables.
    Since AutoCAD (I believe) version 2009 and 2010 sorting numbers is a bit different then in AutoCAD 2007. In AutoCAD 2007 numbers are sorted correctly from small to large and reverse, as one would expect. But in AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD 2010 sorting numbers doesn't work as expected.
    If you have numbers like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 11: These numbers will be sorted as 1, 11, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Do you know how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Edward
    Okay, I solved it now.
    Reading one of your ATP courses, in fact it was ATP209 Segment 3. I read that in step 5 of 8 (Refine Data) of the Data Extraction wizard, I can right-click in on of the data column for setting extra options. There I could select "Set Column Data Format" and change Text into Whole Number. Et Voila! The column with numbers is sorting correctly as expected.
    Thx.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by edward.winter View Post
    Okay, I solved it now.
    Reading one of your ATP courses, in fact it was ATP209 Segment 3. I read that in step 5 of 8 (Refine Data) of the Data Extraction wizard, I can right-click in on of the data column for setting extra options. There I could select "Set Column Data Format" and change Text into Whole Number. Et Voila! The column with numbers is sorting correctly as expected.
    Thx.
    Glad to know that my ATP209 Tables course is helping somebody

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This thread was just what I was looking for...

Data Extraction into Tables are a great feature. I just stumbled onto them recently thanks to the AU forums.....

Wish I had known about this years ago could have some a bunch of time.