Thread: Looking for multi-body sheet metal tutorial

Login to Give a bone

Default Looking for multi-body sheet metal tutorial

I've been searching all over the internet and can't find a tutorial or video that really shows what I'm trying to do. I'm making sheet metal parts, but my parts are made up of multiple parts, and all those parts have to be designed together.

I also think I want the "top-down" approach, I think that is the correct term.. We know what the finished part should look like, and would like to model the part, and then break it down into its separate parts.

Using Inventor 2013

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for multi-body sheet metal tutorial

Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think you're going to find a tutorial explaining exactly what it is you're trying to do. I think what you're trying to do is to create parts from the context of an assembly. That's pretty easy to do and there are tutorials on Youtube to show you how; it's a matter of selecting the correct template when you create the part and you design your sheet metal part just as you would in a single part file. This procedure corresponds to the technical term "top-down design".
    Maybe you could create a few general sketches in an assembly file, and base whatever sheet metal parts you need off of those.

Anyone else ?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for multi-body sheet metal tutorial

You can do it with multi-body, but usually I do it with Skeletal Modeling. Pretty much the same idea, just more work. With Inventor, multi-body in sheet metal has to be done a workaround in a lot of ways. If you really want to try it, then I could probably find a link or make a tutorial in my spare time (very little).

Here is a link to a blog post with the AU paper I did that has Top Down modeling and one of the examples is Skeletal Sheet Metal cladding.

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/...-brisbane.html