Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combined ASMEP model?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Combined ASMEP model?

For those of you in an architectural/structural/MEP firm, do you have 1 model with all disciplines or multiple models (1 architectural, 1 structural, 1 mechanical, 1 electrical, 1 plumbing/fire protection)?

Just curious how others approach this.

Thanks!
    Matt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Combined ASMEP model?

My previous firm was primarily MEP with a few Architects and Structural Engineers.

Most of our projects were MEP with an external architect. While we didn't actually have any projects where Arch and/or Structural using Revit on the same project as MEP, I would have set it up with 1 Arch file, 1 Structural file, and 1 MEP file (or if it was a large enough job 1 HVAC, 1 Electrical, 1 Plumbing/FP). Just curious - has anyone tried using a single model with users running multiple flavors of Revit (Structural vs. Arch vs. MEP)? Any issues with this approach?

Depending on project size, expected number of users, and network setup I would think the Arch/MEP/Structural would be good points to split the files at, even if it is all being done under the same roof.

Login to Give a bone

As an owner, obviously we have to worry about all disciplines.
    At this point, our projects have been small, and have pretty much been broken down Arch > Struct > MEP, whereas, in-house, our working set of plans are broken down by Arch/Struc > Mech Duct > Mech Pipe > Plumbing Domestic > Electrical Power > Electrical Lighting > Electrical Auxiliary (nurse call, fire alarms, etc) > Fire Sprinklers
    Those plans are currently autocad/autocad mep, so, still working out how to tackle creating the master set for the rvt models to be plugged into.

Here are some related threads:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...e-shared-model

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ll-Disciplines

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...s-Linked-files

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...P-one-model-or
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

At my firm we have just recently totally switched over to Revit for new projects. We have architects, structural, electrical, and mechanical all working in one model. We have not linked multiple models yet, although I am wondering if that should be standard no matter the size of the project?
    Is there any downside whatsoever to everyone linking their respective models together?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

we have Arch and MEP in house, all in one model, with external Struct linked in. seems to work pretty smooth. the only problem i see with splitting up into separate models is the lack of info from linked models. if i didn't have plumb and mech in my model, i'd have to put junction boxes to show loads and be able to circuit all of their equipment. which has the potential for major mis-coordination (not that our mechanicals change motor sizes every day (they do))...
    we've only had a few jobs with outside architects using revit, but on those, we linked in arch and struct into our mep model, that went fine too...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Mike,
    Do you guys ever have worksharing issues with everyone working out of one model? How do you control file size so performance is acceptable?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I would recommend keeping MEP and in one model, separate from structural and architectural (and site if applicable). Even when all disciplines are in one house, I have found that file maintenance and performance are better when broken up. Also, the templates are very different, and while these can be combined, it leads to very large file sizes that can be counter-productive. I think once we get the computers that are aboard the Starship Enterprise, then we could start runing Revit projects all in one file.

Login to Give a bone

Its been a while since I've personally tried it, but at my previous firm we tried creating one S/MEP file and found that regardless of which platform started a template (be it structural or MEP), some of the functionality was lost. This could have been long since remedied, but I knew it did make a difference.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Sparky, even using minimal worksets, one per mep discipline, and 3-4 for architecture, one for each model or dwg brought in, struct, civil, we don't have many worksharing problems, if i'm circuiting mech units as he's doing ductwork on the same units, we get the "can't edit item" thing, and just have to save to central. i just make everyone save to central more often during busy times and it keeps that to a minimum.
    File size wise, we're just finishing an entire high school, it's about 220 Meg, and it runs okay. Most of our performance issues are due to our slow network (that's what i blame it on anyway).

Login to Give a bone

It really depends on the file size. We are only an MEP firm but we have even broken up M, P, and E when the project file got too large. We have found that anything over the 200Mb file size becomes slow and difficult to work in. For most small projects one file has not been a problem but when the file got large it was actually nice to have different files. They linked into eachother without any headaches and workflow was alot smoother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast