Thread: Horizontal Sections?

Login to Give a bone

Default Horizontal Sections?

It's been a while since I've worked in Revit and was never an expert, and I am now the only person in my new office who has any Revit experience. I'm coming up blank on this...how can you create a horizontal section? For example, if I want to section through a door jamb in a plan view, how do I do that? Do I need to use the "plan view" tool? I vaguely remember doing this somehow in the past but am now lost. Any help?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Horizontal Sections?

In a plan view, zoom all. From the view menu make a duplicate view. Make sure the crop view is visible and on. Pull in the crop border towards your door. You are making a postage stamp out of the full floor plan. Using the view range, place the horizontal cutting plane as needed. Give the view a name like Door Detail. Check the scale. Drag onto sheet. Done

BTW, the little zig zags in the crop border are for cuts in the detail. If you hit one instead of the drag triangle, control z will get you back! Also, the door better be drawn with suffient detail to be zoomed in on, or you will get a very simple detail.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

There are two easier ways to do this: Make a callout. You then can choose to make the callout a detail or a floor plan. The difference is in the ability to control view range. Floor plan views have controls that set a cut plane and controls for visability above and below the cut plane. Floor plan views also have different display resluts of components which can have symbolic line representations for plan views whereas a detail view will represent the geometry as-cut. Also, it only has a view distance (how far from the cut looking forward). If you want your detail to be able to be referenced from both plan and elevation or section, then you would want to use a detail callout. A floor plan callout cannot be referenced as a detail in elevation.

So, the other way to do it is to make a section cut from an elevation or section. I would set the section type to detail. Once you cut the section, you may find the view range does not cut through where you intended, turn off the view clipping and then adjust the bounding box to where you want it and re-crop the view.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

To expound on mturnhauer's comment:

Create a "normal" vertical section. Then select the section mark, and use the Rotate command to turn it horizontal. Adjust clipping/view depth as desired.

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

But that is not necessary. If you make a callout in plan and it is set to show in intersecting views in lieu of parent only, it will show in elevation as a horizontal detail tag. If you are in an elevation or a section and you draw detail-type section, you can draw it horizontally. You do not need to draw it vertically and rotate it.