Thread: Sheet set-up/dependent views/crop region

Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet set-up/dependent views/crop region

So I'm putting together my first sheet set for a project here in the office for D.D. I am trying to get the crop region to adjust, but am I to understand if I want it to display properly I have to first create a dependent view and adjust the crop region of the D.V. and place THAT on the sheet, ergo: I will have an additional, D.V. under the "Floor Plans, Ceiling Plans, etc" for each drawing on a sheet??? Seems like there should be a way to adjust the crop region on the placed view in the sheets without affecting the view on the floor plan.

Any help understanding this would be great!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet set-up/dependent views/crop region

Just activate the crop region of the view and make the crop visible, and adjust as needed. No need for dependent views unless you need to break up your plans to fit onto sheets. Crop view and crop region visibility buttons are at the lower left of the view near the View Scale button.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Just activate the crop region of the view and make the crop visible, and adjust as needed. No need for dependent views unless you need to break up your plans to fit onto sheets. Crop view and crop region visibility buttons are at the lower left of the view near the View Scale button.
    That's the issue I am having... if I turn the crop "off" then the view on the sheet is not cropped. With the crop "on" the model view is limited to teh crop region.

So you can't have a crop region of a view on a sheet that doesn't affect the view back in model space?

Login to Give a bone

No, views don't work that way in Revit. All views other than 2D drafting views, legends, etc. are views of the same model. All such views have their own crop region controls.

You may find it handy to create "working" views of each floor level. These can be un-cropped views that you use for working in the model only, and are not placed on sheets. Then you have other views that are cropped as needed, and annotated, to place on your sheets.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    No, views don't work that way in Revit. All views other than 2D drafting views, legends, etc. are views of the same model. All such views have their own crop region controls.

You may find it handy to create "working" views of each floor level. These can be un-cropped views that you use for working in the model only, and are not placed on sheets. Then you have other views that are cropped as needed, and annotated, to place on your sheets.
    O.k.....Cool! So this does confirm for me that I was thinking the right way. I'm just going to have a bunch of duplicate, duplicate as detail & duplicate as dependent views to go onto my sheets and then the "Working" views as you put it, where I actual model in.

It would be nice if it was possible to set up a folder in the project browser to stick all of them into and then minimize it! Wish List item???

Login to Give a bone

Not sure what you mean. I would just do straight duplicate operations on your current plan views to make your working plans. Don't duplicate detailing because there's really no need to have all that annotation in working views. And DON'T make dependent views! The parent view of dependent views displays all your annotation shown in all the dependent views. If you're working in the parent view and you place something meant to be temporary, or sketch some lines or something, it will also show up on the dependent view on the sheet.

I recommend dependent views only when the plan is too large to fit on the sheet, and I also recommend not working in the parent view.

I recommend just creating separate views for your working plan views. Either duplicate existing views or View > Plan Views > Floor Plan and uncheck "Do not duplicate existing views" and make a new working plans from your various floor levels.

Also I tend to name views so that they stay grouped together in the PB. So for working plans I put "WORKING" before each view. For floor plans that go on sheets I put "Floor Plan" as the prefix for the view name. Enlarged Plans, Life Safety Plans, Roof Plans, all get similar prefixes in the view names to keep them grouped together.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with patricks. DON"T go around duplicating every view you have. My office actually started doing exactly that on an early revit project and it backfired terribly. What you need to do is adjust your thought process. This isn't cad where you work "in" the xref and annotate "on" the sheet. Your "publish" views are just as effective for making model changes as "working" views. Now don't get me wrong, working views are a great tool for many different tasks, especially QA processes, just don't get carried away with them. I also totally agree with NOT setting up dependent views unless specifically necessary. For all intents and purposes a dependent view IS the parent view, just with a different crop region.

A couple of tips:
    1. search the forums for browser organization. You can separate your working views from publish views quite easily. (no wishlist items required )
    2. get familiar with the view controls at the bottom of each window. You can turn the crop region on and off with one click. Very useful for quickly editing something just outside of the view then turning the crop back on.

Hope this helps,
    -LP

Login to Give a bone

A good reason for working views is to have it set up to see things outside of your normal documentation views' view ranges. For example on a current project I have a working plan of the first floor, with no crop region, and also set to wireframe and -5 foot view depth. That makes all of the underground fire protection and domestic water pipe, sewer pipe, and electrical conduit show up from my linked consultants' Revit files. That lets me see where those things are routed relative to elements in the floor plan, which helps me identify potential conflicts.