Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I divide this curve line evenly?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How can I divide this curve line evenly?

Quote Originally Posted by kmarquis View Post
    The easiest way i was able to do this is draw the curved curtain wall, place your mullions somewhat randomly. Place a Radial dimension of the arc. Add in grid lines radiating from the radius, dimension the grid lines with the angular dimension style and hit "EQ." They will equal out.
    If dealing with a single arc you can create this more easily by defining your vertical spacing using the 'number of spaces'' option as a type parameter and then setting the instance parameter to the number of divisions you want.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    So, does that solve the question? Unfortunately, you could not post an image, to understand better what you needed to do. I don't understand why you could not post an image. Do you want a polygonal plan or a curved one?
    Not the best way I have dreamed. I do like this,"in the floor plan, by the type CURTAIN WALL, draw a arc,and don't exit the command, draw the 2nd and the 3rd arc, in the joint, they tangent,",,,If there a way, to devide this curtain wall evenly and automatic? just like the wall created by the SPLINE?
    Sorry to make this so puzzled. Thanks for your attention

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is probably a more elegant and faster solution.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
    Not the best way I have dreamed. I do like this,"in the floor plan, by the type CURTAIN WALL, draw a arc,and don't exit the command, draw the 2nd and the 3rd arc, in the joint, they tangent,",,,If there a way, to devide this curtain wall evenly and automatic? just like the wall created by the SPLINE?
    Sorry to make this so puzzled. Thanks for your attention
    In the case of a semi circle, I would use this method:

1. In a floor plan view, draw an inscribed polygon, of some "X" radius.
    2. Measure the side of the polygon. Let's name this "D".
    3. Start an in-place mass. Draw a semi circle at the same center, using the same "X" radius. Close it with a line. Create a form with this closed shape.
    4. Apply Curtain wall by face to the mass. Before creating the curtain system, configure the curtain system type, using "D" as the fixed distance for Grid 1 Layout, which is the layout in plan view. Create System.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    In the case of a semi circle, I would use this method:

1. In a floor plan view, draw an inscribed polygon, of some "X" radius.
    2. Measure the side of the polygon. Let's name this "D".
    3. Start an in-place mass. Draw a semi circle at the same center, using the same "X" radius. Close it with a line. Create a form with this closed shape.
    4. Apply Curtain wall by face to the mass. Before creating the curtain system, configure the curtain system type, using "D" as the fixed distance for Grid 1 Layout, which is the layout in plan view. Create System.
    Nice idea, classic and accurate. And I will take a easy way to get it done, draw a spline then adjust it to the arc, no one will find this. ONLY YOU, who took in this thread and gave the help.
    they just take a look at the final image
    thanks!
    Last edited by mike99; 2012-05-13 at 03:06 PM. Reason: error

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Can you try posting an image and make sure that the size meets the maximum image size of file size restrictions? I would like to help, but I still do not know if I follow you completely. If you have multiple curves and you want to locate a total of three mullions along the multiple curves, then my original post still makes sense, but as others have pointed out, unless you have curved glass, you will get bizarre results. from a construction standpoint, you would really want to have a mullion at the transitions from one curve to another since neither the glass or the framing will want to 'kink' at a radius transition. So, are you looking for even spacing of mullions along the surface of three different radius surfaces? If so, this is a more challenging problem, one that requires more geometric analysis. You may need to tweak the radii to find arc lengths that share a common denominator. If you agree with the notion that there must be a mullion at the radius transitions, then each individual arc length would need to be divisible by the same segment length. I am sure there is a computational method that could be developed in a spread sheet. A graphic method could be to draw your desired shape using a spline and evenly distributing points along the spline. Then draw arcs that follow the spline. The arcs should start and stop at points on the spline so that you end up will mullions at the radius transitions. The arcs may not follow the spline exactly. If you then make curtainwall follow your arcs and divide them by the number of points per arc that appears on the spline for the same section, you should result in approximately even spacing along your multi-curve surface.

Login to Give a bone

The new spline wont keep the original arc accurately, but, you can still use the 3 arcs as guides for where your mullions are located in all your documentation. as long as your spline is hosted on the arcs where you want to locate your mullions. the actual surface does not matter as you should never see it.

again this is assuming you are created a pattern based curtain wall system.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another way (2013) is to divide the spline, write down the value of Distance, make a mass, and apply a curtain system to the face generated by the divided spline, using the same value for the spacing of the curtain wall:

Which, in 2012, could be done by dividing the surface with the necessary number of spaces in that direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2012-05-14 at 04:18 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for you all!
    Just been out a whole day,when I see the posts, I really feel very warm , I love this place

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12