Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home use

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Home use

Hi all,

I'm having a running battle with our "IT" department head.

We have a requirement to do some home working and to enable people to develop standards etc.
    The bosses have given the go ahead and we have logged accounts with the subscription centre.
    All that is needed now are the codes from the original box.

IT manager will not give them out stating that only he can get the codes and needs to check with Autodesk directly to get the codes himself.

Has anybody got any experience of installing Autodesk software for home use?

As far as I understand from the Website its just a case on downloading then supplying the Product and Key codes and they send the Authorisation code back to you or is it more complicated?

Many thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Home use

We have home use licenses here where I work. It's straight forward and our IT person provides a license file for us.

However, I believe it is not to be used for company work. They are for your own home use only. That was made pretty clear to us. In order to work at home you must either take a laptop with a license checked out or check one out via VPN.

Doesn't really solve your issue but some extra information.

Login to Give a bone

Does your office have a VPN?
    If so, VPN from home and then use Remote Desktop to access your work computer.
    You will have all your network resources available, just like you are sitting at your desk.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

A bit from the PDF I downloaded

~snip~
    The use of the software program when installed at such second location shall be to
    produce work related to your internal business needs or for your employees personal
    education or training needs.
    ~snip~

But it does say you cannot use the two copies concurrently.

Thanks for reminding me about the portable licence I think I'll just do that and save on a few points of blood pressure.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    ~snip~
    The use of the software program when installed at such second location shall be to
    produce work related to your internal business needs or for your employees personal
    education or training needs.
    ~snip~
    Thanks for filling in the blanks there. I personally have never bothered with a home use license as I have a work issued laptop that I carry for standards development and what not. I just use that for any drawings I need to create myself, which aren't many.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Does your office have a VPN?
    If so, VPN from home and then use Remote Desktop to access your work computer.
    You will have all your network resources available, just like you are sitting at your desk.
    Unfortunately we only have citrix and that isn't enabled to allow us to access PC's via its VPN.

I've just been told I'll have to get approval before taking the licence home.

Looks like the work just isn't going to get done.

Login to Give a bone

Don't blame your IT folk too harshly for this -- the terms of use from the Adesk site leave all the liability on the company for whatever people do with the home use license, and that liability extends past the home user's employment.

Certainly it's not an unknown situation that worker bees get laid off, quit or what have you. The terms of use require the company that owns the license to be able to prove that the license has been removed from the discharged ex-employee's computer. Do you really think that any company can reasonable expect much cooperation from terminated employees in that situation? Given the way the home use license is set up, any reasonably prudent IT group concerned with protecting the company from liability, would say "No" to issuing the home use go-ahead.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Given the way the home use license is set up, any reasonably prudent IT group concerned with protecting the company from liability, would say "No" to issuing the home use go-ahead.
    Exactly - which is why we use VPN+Remote Desktop.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Don't blame your IT folk too harshly for this -- the terms of use from the Adesk site leave all the liability on the company for whatever people do with the home use license, and that liability extends past the home user's employment.

Certainly it's not an unknown situation that worker bees get laid off, quit or what have you. The terms of use require the company that owns the license to be able to prove that the license has been removed from the discharged ex-employee's computer. Do you really think that any company can reasonable expect much cooperation from terminated employees in that situation? Given the way the home use license is set up, any reasonably prudent IT group concerned with protecting the company from liability, would say "No" to issuing the home use go-ahead.
    Reading the terms of use from Autodesk I understand its up to the Company to tell the employee to remove the software, If they don't then its their (the employee's) problem.

~snip~
    Home Use by employees is only permitted as long as such employee is employed by you and
    any use by such employee must cease at the end of such employment. If an employee
    leaves your employment, you, as the licensee, shall instruct the employee to uninstall the
    Home Use License from any computer on which it was installed. Any continued installation or
    use will be considered a violation of the Subscription terms and conditions and the software
    license for the software program
    ~snip~

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Home use

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    Any continued installation or
    use will be considered a violation of the Subscription terms and conditions and the software
    license for the software program
    The quote above clearly puts the burden on the license holder, which is not the employee, but the employer who agreed to the EULA and the T&C of the subscription program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast