See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: emotional problems

Login to Give a bone

Default emotional problems

How do you guys deal with the end users? because I have been thrown into a CAD management position and OMG these guys I work with are so upset at the idea of standards. I am talking about people screaming at me dropping the F-bomb pounding furniture on an almost daily basis. it is really wearing me out. I've tried everything and the compliance is still almost non-existant. Upper managment supports me. But these guys refuse to use XREFs, paperspace, or even keep files on the server.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: emotional problems

Quote Originally Posted by robert.248186 View Post
    ... compliance is still almost non-existant. Upper managment supports me. But these guys refuse to use XREFs, paperspace, or even keep files on the server.
    Evidently Upper Mgmt does not support you if shenanigans like that are going on. Either get real support from Mgmt - including the authority to terminate or suspend staff w/o pay for swearing & such, or look for other opportunities with other organizations.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Evidently Upper Mgmt does not support you if shenanigans like that are going on. Either get real support from Mgmt - including the authority to terminate or suspend staff w/o pay for swearing & such, or look for other opportunities with other organizations.
    I agree. You may have management's backing, but, if you had their support, they'd be written up for refusing to follow guidelines. (additionally, in my workplace, they'd be written up for aggressive behavior. I'm not saying we don't have stubborn people here, because we do, but, that behavior is just childish.)

Our beliefs about our practices and long-standing habits can be quite strong (see the plethora of ranty threads in any random forum on this site), but, we work for our companies and we should follow their rules.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

This is also a CAD standard issue.
    I can guess those guys have been working in the office for long-long time without any or proper trainings.
    May be one of the solutions is sending them to the CAD standard course first.
    And I am just wondering why there are so many drafters don't even know waht the Paperspace/Layout is!
    I have met these kind of guys before.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The key to dealing with end users is simple in concept, in fact it comes down to one word... benefit. In this case, benefit means how does this benefit them? I'm not discussing CAD management "jargon", this is a question of how does following these rules make life better for them?

Benefits come in many forms. In some cases a benefit of following standards is an improvement in the way they can accomplish a task. On the other end of the scale benefit can mean keeping gainfully employed. So if the strategy is pounding a fist and stating something "will" be done a certain way (as an example), that won't get through to them. You need to analyze the situation and determine the benefit to those in charge. Then have them help you to "trickle down" the benefits to others in the organization because it directly benefits the bottom line of your organization. In general, you don't "deal" with end users, you need to use leverage and lead end users to the final destination. More importantly, you can't do it alone, you need the support of management... but you also need leadership skills and the ability to lead individuals by motivation (in whatever form "motivation" works for those individuals).

Login to Give a bone

I'm the opposite - I am the end user BEGGING upper management to make a decision on the standards so all us end users can have a clear path to what is expected of our work.
    We have no standards for blocks, or line types or even a custom library specific to our company. Having said that, this may also be hard to roll out across a company of 15000 people.

For the guys whining about change and dropping the F-bomb - perhaps focus on the benefits such as cutting down on re-work and improving reusability by employing such standards.
    Just a thought

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

On the other hand, you need to have a clear mind and need to find out what is the first thing to be done when sitting on the chair of CAD management.
    Yes, cadtag may be right.
    You need to be sure if you have been given enough authority/support from the upper management.

Login to Give a bone

I deal with about 25 CAD users and the ones who give me the most grief about anything new is my most experienced users. Mangement say they are supportive of maintaining standards and developing the CAD dept. but they are hesitant to take any action against experienced users.

My approach to implementing standards is focused on getting the beginners and intermediate users on board and creating an environment where deviating from the standards becomes difficult. I have tried non-compliance reports, but this is seen as more of a personal attack. I've leaned that it is tough to teach an old dog new tricks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I can't imagine your situation, I've dealt with difficult poeple in the past but never with a group of people. May I suggest you find someone in upper management with alot of power, have a meeting with him and explain what you would like to accomplish, i.e. everyone on the same page with standards and correct proceedures to start and finish a project. Explain to this person how this will eventually make the company more productive which means more profit for the company. I tell every new employee my goal is to help make the company as much money as possible, hopefully the benitifs will trickle down benifiting everyone. Also this sharpens their skills which in turn benifits their career and keeps them up to date with the industry. Also be supportive and be open to listening to any sugestions they may have to improving the process. I see a big task in front of you and the experiance you will gain from this money cannot buy. Good Luck and hope you can find that one person in upper management that can arrange a meeting along side of you and discuss this with everyone.

Login to Give a bone

I feel for your situation. Just know that while nobody is exactly in your shoes, per-se, you're not alone in dealing with difficult users. I myself am having a hard time dealing with a particular user, and am unsure how to resolve the situation.

I came across this article attempting to find a way of dealing with my own situation, and felt it may be relevant:

How to Handle Problem Users When You're Not Their Boss, by Robert Green

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast