Thread: Joining Channels to Angles sends components skewing at odd angles. (REVIT Struct 2012)

Login to Give a bone

Default Joining Channels to Angles sends components skewing at odd angles. (REVIT Struct 2012)

Having issues joining the back face of a channel to the leg of an angle. Please see screen shots below. If you are in section and try to move the channel closer to the steel angle the vertical steel angle skews out so that it attaches to the bottom of the channel. Is this related to analytical model? I have found that changing the work plane to be the face of the leg of the angle and drawing a new channel works, but that is the worst work around when trying to do production. Essentially redrawing everything that needs to be tweaked. The following have been tried in an attempt to modify the behavior:

Changing the work plane
    Aligning vs moving
    Moving vs. Aligning
    Turning off analytical model
    Turning on stick symbols

There must clearly be a setting having to do with attachment, or the analytical model that is forcing the components join in such a strange way.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've attached screen shots and Revit model of the condition.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joining Channels to Angles sends components skewing at odd angles. (REVIT Struct 2012)

I think the issue has to do with where the origin-defining ref planes are located in both families. It wants to join the end point of the angle to the planes defining the top and vertical center of the channel.

How to fix it? Other than creating custom channel and angle families for that situation with different origin-defining ref plane locations and/or different analytical model line location, I don't know.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joining Channels to Angles sends components skewing at odd angles. (REVIT Struct 2012)

I am sure you will have a little better control for the angle hanger if you use angle column family.
    using the angle beam family, the analytical will snap to odd places if you try to use in vertical locations.

Login to Give a bone

I've found that sometimes you need to add a ref plane and align the member to it.
    But this is one of those things that I've been asking for. The option to "Disallow Join" for Beams and structural members. It's nice that RS wants to join any structural member end pint within 6" of another, but sometimes you really don't want them to join.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The Align tool is great for attachment of angle hanger to the back of channel, you can lock alignment together.
    so if the channel moves the hanger will follow along, except if you are over constrainted.
    I get over-constrainted everyday, but the align tool will get you back in alignment.