Thread: Colors and Patterns in Revit Architecture 2013

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Colors and Patterns in Revit Architecture 2013

What are some tips on making colors and textures look great in Revit Architecture 2013? What are some ways to match a manufacturers color and textures? For example exterior stone, brick, siding, roof shingles, etc.

Thanks!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Colors and Patterns in Revit Architecture 2013

That's a huge question!
    There is so much discussion about using Revit for representation. Can you be more specific? Are you using a shaded, consistent colors, or realistic view? Are you rendering these in Revit or exporting to another program like Max to render? And beyond that, the color and lighting will interact on shaded and realistic views so there will be quite a bit of the subjective. If you post an image of something you are trying to emulate, maybe more people will chime in on techniques.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in all areas but specifically realistic view renderings. I would like to be able to produce great renderings directly from Revit, but I do have access to Photoshop to touch things up. I am using materials from Revit "out of the box" now. I am interested in learning some tricks to improve on what I am doing. My renderings look pretty good already I am interested in what others are doing. One thing I have done is take a rendering (realistic view) and the line work converted to JPEG and overlay them in PhotoShop. It gives a nice hand drawn look to the renderings. I would like to hear more ideas like that one.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing some ideas. Have a great holiday weekend.
    Rob

Login to Give a bone

I kwon this thread hast been inactive for almost a month now, but here are some rules i use:

1.- Revit will never create Renders with as good quality as other software like 3dsmax. That's because the illumination on revit is not as good and has no options to toggle. If you export to 3dsmax all you have to do is change the illumination settings to Mr Photographic Exposure and everything will look better.

2.- Autodesk Material Library is good, but to get better result you should always use high quality materials that can be found for free on many sites (www.cgtextures.com) (www.revitcity.com) or paid ones. (tip: use some textures that can look a bit "old" or stained so it feels more realistic that those that look "too perfect to be real".

3.- Play a bit with the reflection o materials to make them look better. Most textures have a great looking texture map and the bump mapping is easy too, but the reflections make look polished aluminum as a mirror, or a wood furniture too glossy.

4.- Render as many times as necessary. Some times you have to render a still image as many as 20 or 30 times to get it right. use the Render Region option to render just the area that was changed to save some time and keep trying until you get it the way you want it. I heard that the guys at pixar studios got up to 3 and a half minutes of finished render video in the movie Toys on their most productive week, so don't give up and have some patience on your projects.

hope this helps.