Thread: Interior Elevation Clipping in Linked Revit Files

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Interior Elevation Clipping in Linked Revit Files

I have Googled myself to death this morning - and I am crying Uncle now!

I have to separate Revit files that I have linked into a master file. The room that I want to create the interior elevation in is split between the two linked files. I have placed in my interior elevation symbol, but the clipping boundaries of the interior elevation view does not pick up the wall boundaries. I am drawing a "blank" on what I am doing wrong.

room_1.JPGThis is just a sample that I created to test this problem out with. You can see the room split into the two linked files and the interior elevation symbols in the room.

The next image shows one of the interior elevations with the clipping issues

clip1.JPG

The next image shows the clipping issue with the second interior elevation placed

clip2.JPG

Finally, when you click on the elevation - this is what it is elevating:

Section_clip.JPG

Is there also a way to control the vertical clipping too (i.e. the floor and ceiling planes).

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Interior Elevation Clipping in Linked Revit Files

I may be missing something, but I think you are just running into a basic behavior of elevation clipping. I don't think it has anything to do with your linked files. The dashed lines shown in plan when you select your section ARE the clip boundaries for the elevation view. In your second image you can see that they stop short of hitting the back wall of rooms 1 and 2, so your elevation view will not show them. Stretch it out like the attached image and your problem should be solved. Alternatively, in the view properties for the elevation you can choose "no clipping" which will elevate everything in the direction of your arrow.

As far as vertical extents, in your elevation view, the solid line around the edge of the drawing IS the clipping boundary. Just drag this to where you want it.

Hope this helps, but if I misunderstood your question please try to restate it and I will take another look.
    -LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have just run across this issue as well. I am trying to place interior elevations in my model, that doesn't have walls floors or ceilings. Those are created by the lead contract holder, and are in a linked model. The interior elevation tags do not register the linked model's room bounding elements, when placing my tags. This means that I need to adjust every single view boundary in my model, not only for width but elevation as well. I had thought about going into the linked file, creating my elevations, and pasting them into my working model. But, that doesn't work either. The elevations get created, but I can not copy/paste between files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Jeff S.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Jeff,

I created a quick test project and linked file just as you described and I ran into the same problem. The only solution I can think of is to use the copy/monitor to to temporarily copy the linked walls, add your elevations, then delete the walls. This might be ok on a small project, but the larger you get the more impractical this becomes.

On the other hand, it is extremely difficult to rotate an elevation exactly perpendicular with an oddly angled wall or a curved wall when the elevation does not snap appropriately. It might be worthwhile to temporarily copy in the more difficult walls for just this purpose. I hope you're not working for Calatrava

-LP

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you LP,

I was thinking that this thread was going to get lost in time.

The scope of my work is limited to the perimeter of the paint. I have no architectural responsibilities on this one. That being said, it is a 275K GSF building. Most of the walls are based on our structural module, so they're square. What I ended up doing was creating an elevation tag with all four elevations active, adjust them to the correct boundaries, then copied it all over my building. There was a lot of renaming, and deleting of elevations, but it was still faster then adjusting every elevation tag.

Sounds to me like a wishlist item. 'I wish that elevations would read room bounding objects from linked files.'

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I just ran into something today that made me want to bring this thread back from the afterlife.

Elevation callouts will snap perpendicular to room separation lines, even curved ones. All you have to do is create a bunch of temporary room separation lines by using the pick lines option and clicking on the linked walls. Then you can add elevation callouts quickly and easily, and delete the room lines afterwards. I just tested this on a sample project with a bunch of curvy and angled walls and it worked great.

With a keyboard shortcut bound to room separation line the workflow should be almost as fast as if the walls were in your own model. I know this is far too late to help on your specific projects, but it's there for future reference I suppose.

-LP