Thread: ACA 2013 Install Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default ACA 2013 Install Issues

Invariably there are always qwirks that pop up when you install the "latest and greatest". Our typical office procedure is to lock the door for 1-3 days while the staff installs, tweaks, and troubleshoots the new software.

This year I came up with the brilliant idea of having everyone else keep working whilst I go through the install on my own, working out all of the bugs so that everyone else can have a smooth transition.

Not a bad idea for productivity, but I'm missing the combined brain power.

That, and operating in my belief that I'm not alone in the universe, I thought it a great idea to start a thread where those of us in the same boat can post our issues and the solutions we've found.

Two (of the several) issues that I've still not resolved are:

1. Whenever I select "too many objects" and use CREATEHLR, CAD crashes. I've repaired the install, tried it from Model Space and other tabs, and still can't figure out why.

2. I saw the "See What You've Been Missing" webcast that Lynn Allen did (it's pretty good - if you havent' seen it, click here -> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112) and she had several Menu Tabs that I just can't get loaded (like "Layout" and "Output"). No idea where they are, and I'm pretty sure I've got all the menus loaded.

One thing I did solve is that my "Express" menu wasn't coming up. The solution was to uninstall and reinstall the ACETMAIN menu using MENULOAD.

Feel free to comment away!

We're all in this together, after all.

- Dave

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACA 2013 Install Issues

Lynn was probably using vanila AutoCAD, not ACA. The ACA CUIX file does not have all of the ribbon tabs that the ACAD CUIX file has.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    Lynn was probably using vanila AutoCAD, not ACA. The ACA CUIX file does not have all of the ribbon tabs that the ACAD CUIX file has.

I'm sure she was using straight AutoCAD, however Ribbon Tabs are associated with loaded menus, so I should be able to load the same menu and have access to that tab. Plus, ACA allows you to load it with the ACAD CUIX if you want (you lose the ACA items, but have access to the generic stuff). When I do that in ACA I get the Layout and other tabs, so the issue is which menu is that tab associated with.

I believe it's associated with the ACAD menu, which I was able to bring in by typing MENULOAD.

Thanks for your help.

- Dave

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

How do I get the menus to load onto the ACA 2013 menu bar? All there is is Express. There are times when they are handier than the ribbon. I suppose over time as I get increasingly comfortable with the ribbon I will find I use it less.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by designscape1 View Post
    How do I get the menus to load onto the ACA 2013 menu bar? All there is is Express. There are times when they are handier than the ribbon. I suppose over time as I get increasingly comfortable with the ribbon I will find I use it less.
    Sine the 2010 release, when the ACA menu went to "full ribbon," the ACA.cuix has not had any pull-down menus. The theory was to encourage the use of the ribbon, and to save the resources that would be needed to continue to develop the ACA pull-down menus (adding new items; verifying existing items still work; deleting obsolete items) for higher uses (like new or improved features).

The ribbon does take some time to get used to it, like anything new. I was never a heavy User of the pull-down menus, so my adjustment may have been less annoying than yours will be. If you are looking for pull-down access to AutoCAD commands, you can always transfer the pull-down menus in the ACAD.cuix file to a separate partial customization file, or, if you are OK with customizing the ACA.cuix file, adding them to that. If you have an old ACA menu file, 2009 or earlier, you can transfer those pull-down menus and have some ACA menus, also. Newer commands would not be in those menus, of course.

Loading throw full ACAD.cuix file as a partial customization file with the ACA.cuix as the main file is not recommended as there are contextual ribbon tabs for the same action in both. When both try to execute, the program hangs.