Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit - Electrical circuits disconnecting from parent when synchronizing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit - Electrical circuits disconnecting from parent when synchronizing.

Hi,
    Thanks in advance for the help!

We've had electrical circuits disconnecting from their panel when a sync is performed. The circuits are intact (including load name and circuit number), but no longer connected to the panel. You can simply reconnect the circuit to the panel and everything is back to good, until you sync again.

We've found a few frustrating work-arounds that sometimes work:
    • Delete the panel and insert a new panel in its place, reconnecting all circuits.
    • On Switchboards, increase the "Max #1 Pole Breakers" to some number much bigger than what you actually need. We think this is related to the other switchboard bug where you can't connect anything more to your switchboard even though you still have spaces (if you don't know what I'm talking about, just ask and I'll explain this more).

So, can anyone else help me understand this bug or help with fixes/workarounds that work consistently?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Electrical Designer
    Revit MEP 2012

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit - Electrical circuits disconnecting from parent when synchronizing.

I guess we're the only firm with this problem. Sweet!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit - Electrical circuits disconnecting from parent when synchronizing.

i've had light fixtures that would disconnect from circuits when i would sync to central, but not entire circuits from the panel. that was way back in version 08 or 09, haven't seen it in a long time. start a new session, and let it do it's thing, then send the project file and your journal file in to tech support. if they can watch it fail it might help them figure it out.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

What version are you on? Do you the latest updates installed?

Login to Give a bone

Revit MEP 2012
    build: 20110916_2132(x64)
    update release 2

We've encountered the bug on 2 different projects, each on different computers.

Login to Give a bone

Solution: A Voltage parameter (shared or otherwise) must be defined, in all Revit System (MEP) families and in the model, by all disciplines with exactly these characteristics: Discipline = Electrical, Type of Parameter = Electrical Potential.

My story: We had encountered this problem sporadically over different projects for some time. The problem was sent to Autodesk for review on multiple occasions, with no solutions. Recently, we had a project that was consistently loosing electrical connections and at a critical stage in CD's. I was completely baffled as to what could cause this; I know Revit well and knew there must be a cause effect at the source of the problem. At 2:00 am I awoke and the answer floated into my head; it was a gift from the Revit aurora borealis and I am grateful. We have never had the problem again after correcting as described below. So I post this in the hopes that it will help all Revit MEP users.

We use three disciplines in our models: Mech, Elect and Plumbing. Each discipline is defining shared parameters for their various schedule needs. What caused this is that one discipline had redefined Voltage -- key to electrical circuits -- as something other than the required definition. When the model was synced to central, the incorrect definition from another discipline rewired the electrical circuits and did not update the model, dropping recent circuits. If the other disciplines were not working at the same time, the electrical circuits would "stick".

I suspect that other key MEP parameters: HP, Phase, etc. may also cause this problem if not defined with the correct "Type of Parameter".

I submitted the solution to Autodesk with the hope that the software may be corrected to prevent this in future releases. Good luck.

Login to Give a bone

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to point out that this issue still occurs in Revit 2014. The above "solution" does not prevent the problem from occurring, so there has to be something else causing this issue.

Login to Give a bone

The only time I've ever seen this is when the number of connected circuits exceeds the "Max # 1 Pole Breakers" value. On switchboards, the schedule template has a bug that will not merge multipole circuits into a single cell, so it allows the user to continue connecting 3 phase loads beyond the panel capacity. When the model is synced, the discrepancy is found and the circuits are disconnected. Our solution is to simply stop using the switchboard schedule and tweak the single column branch panel schedule for use as a distribution panel schedule. This has the added advantage of allowing the distribution panel schedules to display the correct number of spare/spaces instead of the switchboard schedule with a bunch of superfluous blank lines at the bottom.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting additional information Ben. Would you be willing to share a sample stripped down project with this customized panel schedule?

Login to Give a bone

I'll dig one up in a day or two, bit buried at the moment. I didn't really do much customizing of the schedule, just copied the standard version and changed the name to "Distribution Panel." The only other trick was changing the part type of all of our distribution panel families from Switchboard to Panelboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast