Thread: Various ideas for improvements.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Various ideas for improvements.

Seeing that the Adesk have run out of ideas for ACA improvement here are a few ideas they could look at.

Doors
    Be able to turn off head (useful for creating gates, toilet partitions etc without major dance.
    Be able to offset door from head or sill (tick box and distance box) (bar doors, gates, toilet partitions.
    Be able to offset door panel (for sliding door outside frame instead of cavity slider (for when building in masonry)
    Addition of unsupported pack (fine) of best of customisations for certain situations.
    ie. mutlipanel bifold doors, movable walls etc. (maybe as an unsupported pack like express tools was).
    Fix the problem of not being able to select a custom door object that uses blocks to replace default objects in plan or iso/perspective view.
    Additional door types such as multipanal doors,perhaps gates (no head), drawers?, Although the no head would more flexible as separate option.

Walls
    Be able to track a componant along the bottom (above or below) or along the top (above or below) of a wall line including the offsets
    Useful for a gable end parapet brick that tracks along the top of a profiled wall.
    Useful for a stepping footing to follow stepped wall bottom line.
    Be able to overlap 2 componants and the one with the lower priority number would cut the other. Useful for a brick wall that is punctuated by alt-colour corbels. Rather than having to set each portion of the main wall it could simply be top to bottom and then set the corbels with higher priroty to cut into main wall.
    Under Style Manager/Display Properties, A flag to indicate that the wall you are exploring has an object override would be helpful.

Windows
    More options for different window types like OXO OXXO OX/XX etc
    Anchor settings box. Drop downs are quite inefficient for selecting from 3 points (start, midpoint and end) and should be changed to 3 buttons instead with a '0' button to reset distance.

Curtain Walls
    Fix display issues,cutplane that won't update etc. (maybe to be fixed in 12?)

aecSpaces
    Should stretch correctly even if centre is selected (in selected rectangle) (as old areas did) (Currently they move instead of stretch if centre point included in stretch selection. (This happens if spaces have been placed manually rather than automatically - ie for spaces used for lot areas).

aecSlabs
    Update slabs editing as per aecSpaces. Ie click centre to add new point/curve/offset etc.
    Editing slabs in comparison to spaces shows slabs to be very old tech. In fact I will often use spaces in place because of the awkwardness of applying and editing slabs.
    Should be able to add a vertice by clicking on centre tab.
    Should be able to drag an edge passed another edge.
    It seems a simple process to have the elevation at floor level and the offset to set ceiling height but this just doesn't work cleanly. Often offset seems meaningless and you must set elevation to get the correct height. (maybe I'm missing something).

Overall
    Be able to insert componant as block into another and have it parametric rather than simply stretch.
    for e.g. create block (as insert) out of CWA and insert into window and have it parametric rather than just stretch and block distorts.
    You use to be able to pick various layers in the pulldown one after another but now it jumps after each pick (because it's live and can't keep up). Rather than staying in the one position it jumps the list back to the beginning making it awkward to pick a number of layers in a row.
    Restore the ability to click in scroll down selection boxes and use wheel mouse to alter selection. Doesn't work any longer. (not sure if this is something local).

Roof Object
    Switch back on the Dormer functions contained within the code.
    Update the object to
    be able to add vertices (as per Space object)
    Add accessible properties for (for PSD)
    Length (Perimeter) along Roof Line and Eave line.
    Area on flat. Area (true) on slope.
    Length of any gabled portion (90d slope edges)
    Length of hips (sloping) and ridges (flat).
    Ability to add holes (without resorting to MassElementGroups)
    Edge styles - gutter/fascia/eave, gable end, infil,
    Auto gable functions
    Add ability to autoframe.

DB's
    Wonderful align command must be able to align (recognise) with any part of a wall, not just the baseline

Multiview Blocks.
    The Interference block in a MVB needs to have it's insertion offset exposed like other blocks. Just add it to the list of blocks included.
    (For e.g. a basin block with it's insertion raised to height of adjustible cabinet gives flexibility but the negative block cannot)

aecElevations
    Ability to select things to exclude so after creation, right click on an elevation, select Regenerate, in the box under Selection Set, 'Remove Objects'.
    Text objects automatically excluded from elevations (maybe tick box)
    Fix merge materials problem, fix missing items on created elevations.
    Fix problem of Swing not showing completely for double doors.

Osnaps
    Fix fully the problems introduced in Autocadv2009 that have messed up osnaps working consistently and properly with aecObjects.
    Osnaps should not fail when isolating certain layers (turning off others including layer 0)
    When inserting doors & windows at a 2nd floor level (in the same drawing not PN) they often cannot correctly be placed without setting Elevation to 0 and turning off osnapz.
    When door panel is replaced with blocks to represent nonOOTB door styles, often aecObjects cannot be snapped to or selected without windowing the whole object.

MassElementgroup
    Drape tool could be advanced to a better site development tool with some more intelligent controls.
    Be able to assign more than 1 material to a massgroup.
    ie. To cut a sloping path into a draped site, you can create a flat path/road element and tell it to intersect with drape so top is level with site. However you then cannot assign a different material except outside massgroup but this would require undoable edits to path/road.
    So you need both the boolean tools and the ability to apply separate materials.

Railings.
    Add more flexibility. Add interactive 3D view so you can see your edits as you make them.
    Be able to rename componants so that innovative use of object can be understood. ie. Using a railing as a masonry fence. Posts are piers, Handrail might be brick wall, Guardrail may be capping.

Ribbon
    command consistency with Edit-in-place across all objects. Not all 'save edits' are found on the ribbon and not all show up on Right click options.
    Add commands presently missing - MassElementGroups only shows when you have created one and is not available when wanting to create the first one.
    Add commands for Anchors - presently completely missing from Ribbon.
    Ribbon fails to update - doesn't show correct Render quality setting.

Be able to import MAX objects.

Autocad

DrawOrder.
    Ok this is really autocad but it needs to work reliably with aec objects too. Text should display above by default no matter when drawn. I would imagine only occasionally you would want text oscured by other objects.

Rendering - would be real good if worked as advertised.
    Render Materials.
    Add a Fit to object option... please. Like you had in old versions!
    Memory- sort out problems of memory issues.
    Shouldn't be able to render objects that have been deleted from the drawing.
    When shifting to a view, objects that are turned on disappear even though layer is on.
    should be able to zoom in and render objects close not get (no renderable objects visible notice).
    Should be able to transfer rendering settings. (export=import)
    Errors of the view making certain objects disappear - go back to iso view and objects reappear!
    Materials attached but not rendering all the time, sometimes yes sometimes no.
    When editing a view, using the CameraAdjust the first edit will jump the camera to a different (forward) location.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Various ideas for improvements.

Hey there Wish List folks. Why aren't any of these on the "Vote For" list? I keep getting emails to vote on ACA wishes, but the ones that appear don't interest me. But neje has hit on just about every one of my own ACA wishes in this one post. I would add one more which is the ability to manipulate ceilings in spaces to create slopes, soffits, etc. but other than that, if the ACA development team would implement even a few of the things on this list, the product would be improved more that it has been over the last several releases.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhallett View Post
    Hey there Wish List folks. Why aren't any of these on the "Vote For" list? I keep getting emails to vote on ACA wishes, but the ones that appear don't interest me. But neje has hit on just about every one of my own ACA wishes in this one post. I would add one more which is the ability to manipulate ceilings in spaces to create slopes, soffits, etc. but other than that, if the ACA development team would implement even a few of the things on this list, the product would be improved more that it has been over the last several releases.
    It would appear that Nathan posted his list directly in this forum, rather than going through the Wish List link at the upper left corner of the web page (right below the AUGI logo). I am not certain whether or not ACA was available in the formal Wish List system at the time of his post.

Login to Give a bone

Hi guys!
    my 2 cents:

...wouldn't it be useful that you have TAGs directly implemented in SPACE-styles? (like the "OPEN LIGHT" feature from MUIGG does for doors and windows?)
    (maybe just define the syntax here in the style of the SPACE, you usually do in the TAG)

...wouldn't it be useful that you get information in a ROOM-shedule (spaces) about the windows and doors etc. referred to this room. - Now it works just the other way: the window knows to which room it is connected (anchor) - the other way would be more interesting to me! (I couldnt manage roombook make this for me!)

what do you think?

mARTin

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I am an amateur with room schedules but I did watch a movie from AU where I am sure the lecturer bragged that ACA could do this. He was looking at the energy calculations and evaluating rooms and the openings. I have downloaded it so must have it somewhere but it is avail. at Virtual AU unless they've taken it off. Never heard of MUIGG.