See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: More Control of Voltage Drop and Wire Size Calculations

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default More Control of Voltage Drop and Wire Size Calculations

Summary: Voltage Drop and Wire Sizes should be based off of the same reference values so that they complement each other or allow the designer to select what those reference values should be.

Description: Currently I have found the issues and limitations listed below with voltage drop and wire sizes. Voltage drop and wire sizes do not complement each other, therefore, leading to bad results. I wish these limitations and issues would be fixed in Revit MEP allowing the designer to better manage electrical circuits.

1. Voltage Drop calculation are always based on Actual Load Amps with no option for it to be based on the Breaker Size.

2. Can't apply adjustment factors to the Actual Connected Load that Voltage Drop calculations and Wire Sizes are based on.

3. Wire Sizes are always based on the Breaker Size with no option to have them be based on the Actual Load Amps.

4. The Voltage Drop and Wire Sizes should be based off of the same reference value - either the Actual Load + an Adjustment Factor or the Breaker Size.

Product and Feature: Revit MEP - MEP Electrical Circuits - (Electrical)

Submitted By: Daniel Rodriguez on Mon, 18 Jun 2012

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: More Control of Voltage Drop and Wire Size Calculations

I agree 100%. Another issue that I have with the voltage drop is the fact that it appears to be segment to segment without tracking the overall (total) voltage drop from the source. In other words, it appears that each voltage drop calc is based on the nominal system voltage as opposed to the actual available voltage at any point in the system. For instance pnl 'mdp' feeds pnl 'a'; then pnl 'a' feeds pnl 'b'. The voltage drop calc should have panel 'b's starting voltage adjusted for the voltage drop of the feeders between pnl 'mdp', pnl 'a', and pnl 'b'.