Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EXTRACT ATTRIBUTE DATA FROM SELECTED OBJECTS & CREATE TABLE IN MODEL SPACE

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: EXTRACT ATTRIBUTE DATA FROM SELECTED OBJECTS & CREATE TABLE IN MODEL SPACE

Worked well for me. Seemed to take a bit longer than my code though. It doesn't do the excel functions I need (and I don't really know how to incorporate it), but it'd probably be easier for james.126519.

Good coding man

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: EXTRACT ATTRIBUTE DATA FROM SELECTED OBJECTS & CREATE TABLE IN MODEL SPACE

My thought was that by using the vla- functionality, that the code would not be dependent on DOSLib, and not that it would necessarily be faster, while that is often the case... Not always.

As to why some functionality is not being observed, I honestly do not understand why. I thought I was providing a direct substitution for the Command calls where I knew to, but if the source DXE file is the same, there should be no issue AFAICT.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will be along to help out shortly.

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

No, you're fine, the functionality I was referring to was the renaming and moving of the excel file once the extraction is complete. You had used the second piece of code I posted after I had cut all that out (since the OP didn't require it). Carry on.

Login to Give a bone

Ohhh... Ok. *wipes brow*

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am sure that I am not doing something right here

Do I need to have my C:/Windows/Temp folder added to my support file path? That is where I saved the DXE files and the template drawing with the blocks. Or should I have saved those in a new folder called C:/Temp?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: EXTRACT ATTRIBUTE DATA FROM SELECTED OBJECTS & CREATE TABLE IN MODEL SPACE

Quote Originally Posted by james.126519 View Post
    I am sure that I am not doing something right here

Do I need to have my C:/Windows/Temp folder added to my support file path? That is where I saved the DXE files and the template drawing with the blocks. Or should I have saved those in a new folder called C:/Temp?
    C:\TEMP (NOT C:\WINDOWS\TEMP) does not need to be in your support path, it is hard-coded into the lisp.

The real key to making this work is to insert all your blocks you'll need to extract data from into a drawing called "dext.dwg" and save it in the C:\TEMP folder. Then do your manual data extraction (selecting all the blocks, options, etc) and save that DXE in the C:\TEMP folder (then make the copy called "dext-orig.dxe"). This way, your template dxe file references the "current drawing" (dext.dwg) in the C:\TEMP folder. Then, by saving the drawing you actually want to perform the data extraction on as "dext.dwg" (done within the lisp routine), the dxe file makes the extraction to the right file. Then it just saves it back to what the drawing originally was.

Are you getting an error?

See the attached files. Take a look at dext.dwg" - this is the drawing I made the dxe file from. It has all the blocks I use in my data extraction.
    Copy all the files that start with "dext" to C:\TEMP. Copy "DE-Example.dwg" to any folder you want. Open DE-Example.dwg and run DEXT.lsp. Should work (although it does make an excel file in a "misc" folder as well).

Keep trying, we'll work through it. It's definitely a PITA to set up the first time, but once it's set, it works easily by just typing the command. I did tell you it was an un-elegant workaround, didn't I?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Good afternoon Blackbox,
    I've used your modified DEXT.lsp to extract block info from my current dwg. Works flawlessly - many thanks. Here's my delimma. I want to create several extraction tables within the same dwg - with different groups of blocks. If I continue to run your routine, all my tables update at the same time and with additional data. My dxe settings are configured to "Include current drawing". I know how to set it to... "Select objects in the current drawing". Now I just need the code to prompt me to select instead....(I.E. ssget). This way, I can just delete an old table, and insert a new one based solely on the last selection set.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike in Dallas

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marcos.miner120647 View Post
    Good afternoon Blackbox,
    I've used your modified DEXT.lsp to extract block info from my current dwg. Works flawlessly - many thanks. Here's my delimma. I want to create several extraction tables within the same dwg - with different groups of blocks. If I continue to run your routine, all my tables update at the same time and with additional data. My dxe settings are configured to "Include current drawing". I know how to set it to... "Select objects in the current drawing". Now I just need the code to prompt me to select instead....(I.E. ssget). This way, I can just delete an old table, and insert a new one based solely on the last selection set.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike in Dallas
    Greeting, marcos.miner120647 - Welcome to AUGI, and congrats on your first post.

I'm very pleased that you found my offering to be useful, even if only to some extent.

Unfortunately, as stated earlier in this thread, I've never actually used the DATAEXTRACTION Command, and have no DXE templates, etc. on which to test... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly in order to assist you.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marcos.miner120647 View Post
    ... I want to create several extraction tables within the same dwg - with different groups of blocks... My dxe settings are configured to "Include current drawing". I know how to set it to... "Select objects in the current drawing". Now I just need the code to prompt me to select instead....(I.E. ssget). This way, I can just delete an old table, and insert a new one based solely on the last selection set.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike in Dallas
    Do you want each table to contain the same set of blocks each time and another table to contain a different set of blocks each time? I'm thinking you can make a dxe for each set you want, then essentially repeat the DEXT for each different set... Is that right? If not, could you clarify a bit?

Login to Give a bone

Hello BlackBox.

Let me start by saying a massive thankyou for writting this code, it really helps taking out all the hassle of going through the data extraction wizzard.
    However, it does fail when you wish to run it a second time on a different file, because the "dext.dwg" gets overwritten with the actual dwg file you would perfrom the data extraction on.
    Therefore, when you try and run it again, the blocks cannot be found because the "dext.dwg" no longer has all the blocks in.
    Maybe, we could store a second copy of the "dext.dwg" call it "dext-orig.dwg" and replace dext with orig once the extract has taken place. This way the its ready to run again....

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast