Thread: Certain "detail" drawing files in constant need of Recover

Login to Give a bone

Default Certain "detail" drawing files in constant need of Recover

Here's the set up - the firm constantly references "standards" created in the 1990's, while I am trying to update necessary files for use as templates. Understand this: it is more common for folks to just open the last project file and delete everything, and save-as. Plus, the legacy files are ****, but I cannot get rid of them. It would be easier to purge the people than it is to purge the years of poor practice that permeates this office (why are you staying you ask. well don't ask!). Anyway, I have created some templates to use, but the real issue is this - I am working on detailing and have a few files (with multiple xref's attached) that contain a few dynamic blocks, and the files seem to constantly be in need of recovery. Periodically, while performing a quick save (QS) an error message pops-up and indicates the file needs to be recovered.

Running the recovery usually indicates that Errors were found, Errors were fixed (same number as found), and objects were deleted. I am prompted to "review the information above and inspect the drawing"....hmm great. I would like to know where I can review the errors, and the objects getting deleted.

My audits of the XREFs has lead me to believe it is the "detailing" file that is the problem, but I'm at a loss on how to determine what is causing the errors. I've audited the template file I created for this type of drawing and get no errors. I have done the same with the dynamic blocks that I created (in block editor) and also, get no errors. I have tried to keep objects off of the layer DEFPOINTS, but my colleagues still use that layer because that is what they learned to do a decade ago. I have purged, and purged, and selectively purged, but the problem persists. It is minor, as I cannot see anything missing, but it is more than annoying. Can anyone shed some more light on this? I would be very grateful.

thanks.
    Last edited by mmiles; 2016-06-28 at 04:09 PM. Reason: changed 1st word of last sentence, in 1st paragraph from "often" to "periodically"

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Certain "detail" drawing files in constant need of Recover

me again (post rant; tiring).
    my process is to start a new file for drawing details (in our case, Millwork / casework) by linking to a template I created for just this purpose. I xref a file which contains the int. elevations, and attached XREF(s) of the plan(s). Then I save the file....

the plans and elevations were created in the way I alluded to earlier (old-style).

NOTE: the dynamic blocks are not yet part of the file. I add those as needed.
    Last edited by mmiles; 2016-06-28 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added "NOTE..."

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried a recoverall on one the drawings with errors? It would at least run through all of the drawings referenced into the affected drawing and try to repair/recover those additional drawings.

To get others to use your new methods, you must make it easier for them than to go find the old drawings to start from. Setting the templates folder for everyone is one solution. Creating individual templates for each type of sheet could be another solution. Continuing to make it easier, will discourage the old methods.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Opie. I have run recover with xrefs from the pull down menu. That's how I narrowed it down to the detail drawing file. Is that the same thing? I've completed that drawing file (for now) and have moved on to the next one, following the same process, and using the same XREFs. So far, so good. I think it may be related to one of two things: xclips from xrefs into detail file; and/or inserting of dynamic blocks (which contain hatch patterns).

I appreciate the advice, it is sound. I am reluctant to assume the role - I wasn't supposed to be in the position - but it drives me nuts enough I think it may be necessary.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The hatches may be the problem I have found in the past reoccurring errors coming from a hatch. erased the hatch and re-hatched helped not perfect but better

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I mentioned "hatches" because I read other posts suggesting potential problems. I made a block to use for interior wall and cabinetry detailing (like detail components in Revit) to represent plywood, or MDF, or GWB; and makes use of distance, and visibility parameters. It is on my list of culprits....audits of the block yield no errors. Still I wonder if the connection to these other files (XREFs)- which were clearly old style cut-n-paste, file rename jobs - isn't the prime suspect.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We had numerous file crashes when trimming hatches was first allowed (2008?) and ended up with corrupted data in the files. An old trimmed hatch may be the culprit.

Have you tried purging the block files by wblocking them and not opening them in the block editor then reinserting and redefining the block in the drawing? It is the only way to use the purge command on a dynamic block. Don't forget to -purge RegApps. How about -purging the RegApps in the XREFs?

Login to Give a bone

NEaton,
    Are you saying to wblock the blocks, then open the block files (NOT in block editor) and purge them? And, then reinsert and redefine into the host file from which they were WBlock'd?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yes. You can't use the purge command in the block editor and there may be elements in the blocks that need purged. WBLOCKing a block allows you to open the block as a .dwg file that you can use the purge command on.

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    NEaton,
    Are you saying to wblock the blocks, then open the block files (NOT in block editor) and purge them? And, then reinsert and redefine into the host file from which they were WBlock'd?