Thread: Pipe Network Management

Login to Give a bone

Default Pipe Network Management

I am currently working on a site with lots of different pipe runs. is it best practice to draw each run into a seperate network? also i would like to know what is the best way to show crossing pipes on a profile view? curently i am creating a network for all the instances of pipe cross overs and setting it as a style that shows up as a circle on profile but invisible on plan. by doing this i have to find the invert level at the crossing point and input the information onto the seperate crossing network. is there a better way of doing this? also any pipe network management tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Network Management

I prefer to do one network for storm sewer, one for sanitary sewer and one for water. As far as crossings go, I create the crossing pipe with the correct inverts and length, change it to a style that does not plot in plan view and use a style override in the profile view to show it as an ellipse.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pipe Network Management

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    I prefer to do one network for storm sewer, one for sanitary sewer and one for water. As far as crossings go, I create the crossing pipe with the correct inverts and length, change it to a style that does not plot in plan view and use a style override in the profile view to show it as an ellipse.
    I agree with one network per system type (storm, sanitary, etc.). With crossing pipes, you will run into 2 conditions; 1 - existing utility crossing a proposed utility and 2 - proposed utility crossing another proposed utility.

For the first condition, you're simply modeling that single segment that crosses your design as the base map will contain the representation of existing conditions given to you by the surveyor. Granted, this also means that the surveyor has given you lines and text for base map information. That, however, is a conversation for another day. Back to the first condition - Your modeled "existing" pipe should have a style such that the plan view is just a single line (with a no plot color/style) and that by default its profile view is only a crossing style. This will eliminate the need to do the style override in the profile view. You can get by with the "existing" pipe crossing using this type of style if you're not actually profiling that utility itself.

For the second condition, both pipes will have a pipe style that will have a plotable representation in both plan and profile. In those profile views where you're showing the crossing pipe, you have use the pipe style override as previously mentioned.

OK, im rambling now... I think you get that there are many ways to deal with this...