Thread: [2013] U-shaped stair, change shape?

Login to Give a bone

Default [2013] U-shaped stair, change shape?

Hey everyone, I've come across this small issue which should be kind of a no-brainer, but it seems as if I don't have very much brain left right now.

If you inspect the attached image, the stair on the left is something created in an earlier Revit-version, but now with the new Stair-tool in 2013 i thought that I should be able to create a similar kind with the "U-shape winder" tool.

But I can't find which parameter-values I shall change to get that kind of shape, and I didn't find anything of interest in the F1-help section. So do anyone have any hints on what workflow I should have?

Kindest regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: [2013] U-shaped stair, change shape?

To do that kind of stair (shown on the left) with the new Stairs by component, you would need to use the new buttons "Convert" and "Edit Sketch", so that you can fix the unwanted rotations of some of the threads. The stair by component will apply the winder effect to almost all the risers, except by a few risers at start and end.

Login to Give a bone

ah. Well it's not really the winder effect that i want to achieve, I would like to be able to change the dimensions on the whole stair to look more similar to the left one, and that is something which seems impossible? But I can't imagine that Autodesk would create a stair tool where the U wasn't customizable to whatever dimensions I would like.

Login to Give a bone

Alfredo is on track here as far as I can tell. If you want control over the u shape stair, convert and edit sketch. There are a few options for the u-shape stair, such as changing the winder style from a balanced riser layout to a single point layout, which will gain you a few straight risers in the middle of the run as you have shown in your image. But making any modifications such as changing the width of the stair, dragging any of the blue arrows or 'dots', or pretty much anything else will generate an error in some form or another, so I'm not sure this is a flexible stair choice. Doesn't seem to have a lot of option for user control. I've attached an image of the stairs as Revit generates them, one edited after a convert and one showing the winder style 'single point'. Sorry I couldn't be of any better help.

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images