Thread: I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to Revit family import option.

Wish List Administration

Default I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to Revit family import option.

Summary: I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to family custom import that would import all content to a new Revit family category. This way any content cleanup will be in the family and not in the Revit model. This would allow for someone to make changes to the cad detail inside the family, then overwrite the family in Revit. Having cad details linked as families would mean the family can be updated without haveing a linked trail.

Description: I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to family custom import that would import all content to a new Revit family category. This way any content cleanup will be in the family and not in the Revit model. This would allow for someone to make changes to the cad detail inside the family, then overwrite the family in Revit. Having cad details linked as families would mean the family can be updated without haveing a linked trail. Autodesk could then design the software to add custom detailing options inside families instead of intergrating them into main platform. This could be a game changer!

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Annotation Tools

Submitted By: Shaun Peppers on 07/09/2012

Default Re: I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to Revit family import option.

I am ot sure I understand, but you can already import Acad details into revit detail families and then bring those into the project. This will keep things much more clean into the project, I agree.

Do you need a further wish, with all other massively more pressing features we need in Revit?

All AUGI, all the time

Default Re: I wish that Revit had an AutoCAD to Revit family import option.

Just import to a project, clean it up, and save as a family. What's wrong with that?

I found a better way to do that is to pull all the AutoCAD details into a single project, clean up the file, and then create a view for each detail. That way individual views can be pulled into the current project. This works much better than the family method, in my opinion.