Summary: It would help a lot if the XREF attachement included toggles to ignore display property over-rides, such as colors, from displaying in attached/overlain reference files

Description: Everyone know that using by-entity colors, linetypes, ltscales, etc. causes problems when a file containing the over-ridden entities is used as a reference file. But it happens, over and over again. What I would like to see is an option in the XREF attach process to selectively ignore Color, Lineweight, Plotstyle & LTScale over-rides that have been applied to any entities in a drawing, and only display and manage them on a by-layer basis.

While it's possible to open the reference file as a drawing, and run SETBYLAYER, that action changes the file, which may well have come from an outside party. I'd like to be able to use those files as references, while not being forced to edit what my subconsultants did. Basically toggles that enforce 'display bylayer only', rather than whatever over-rides were done.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - XREF

Submitted By: Jim Gerth on 07/11/2012