Thread: Question on hardware for running REVIT/ AutoCAD MEP and CADmep software.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Question on hardware for running REVIT/ AutoCAD MEP and CADmep software.

Earlier this year I received a new computer built by XI Computers.

Main details:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k X 4.1GHz
    Video card: nVidia Quadro 2000 1GB DDR5
    Memory: 16gb DDR3, 1600MHz
    HD: 500gb 7200RPM SATA

I'm running mostly AutoCAD MEP and CADmep but in the near future I'm going to be using REVIT MEP. (2013 versions)

The problem I'm seeing is that in larger 3D models (10mb+) the computer really seems to be slow when switching between views and rendering. 2D drawings aren't a problem at all.

I'm thinking possibly the video card is holding me back but I'm not real sure.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question on hardware for running REVIT/ AutoCAD MEP and CADmep software.

We run 4Gb cards for Revit users. We were getting Nvidia cards, but we switched from twin monitors to one single big monitor and a smaller AMD M8900 card. The drivers seems to be more stable than the Nvidia drivers, and we save $700

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question on hardware for running REVIT/ AutoCAD MEP and CADmep software.

The Problem I see with the i-7 platform is the limit on allowed ram and lack of ECC ram all together.
    I just saw in a trade magazine an article for the New HP Z-620 (I have the Z-210 currently and honestly I can't say I'd recommend it. I'm on my 2nd one in 2 mths. Cooling fan died on the first one) and you'll get a lot of bang for the buck. Plus you won't be limited to 16gb of ram. The only thing I do like about the i7 is the amount overclocking you can do on it, but you have to buy the expensive one (unlocked) so you can do that. As for the Graphics card, it all depends on what you do.

Login to Give a bone

ECC RAM vs non-ECC RAM is a non-starter on a workstation. Given the price differential, non-ECC RAM is the clear winner. for desktops/workstation - if your application is a multi-gigabyte database with hundreds of concurrent queries and procedures running, the ECC RAM is critical. For the desktop, not at all. The occasional bit flipped by cosmic rays is a issue that doesn't even begin to reach the level of trivial.