Thread: weatherboards

Login to Give a bone

anybody got a simple way to model weatherboards? did you use the reveal, or the wall sweep... to add or subtract?...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: weatherboards

Do you mean weatherboards as in shiplap cladding? In most instances you would surely not want to model these. A good material setting will give you a suitable appearnce, both in terms of surface pattern and render map. If you need a close up view this is a candidate for drafting and use of detail components.

Login to Give a bone

yip, i was thinking it would be good to model them, but maybe I am being stupid. The main reason is that when I send the .dxf model to the renderer he can render without having to make any changes to the model - and the shadow lines from the laps is quite important... but perhaps I should think of a way around it. Or is there a way I can build a compound wall that has the lapped cladding?

Login to Give a bone

Yes there is.

Create a new wall type, duplicated from your external wall.

Add a new external layer called wboards say 20 mm thick or whathaveyou.

Now create a new material called wboard. Pick a colour if you want, for your shaded views and a texture if your are rendering. Assign a model hatch to the surface pattern, say 100 horizontal lines. You can define a new fill pattern at a spacing of your choice later.

Now your elevations, and shaded & hidden line views will show the horizontal fill pattern for weather boards.
    The fill pattern does not show in your rendered views. These are controlled by the accurender texture you select or modify.

I think this model linework does export to .dxf, but I'd need to check that.

Login to Give a bone

If the weatherboards are vertical shiplap, you could do an in-place family, do a vertical sweep of a board, array it accross the face of the wall, setting the gap between the boards to whatever you want, & then cut voids at all the doors, windows, etc. If you don't "group & associate" the arrays, you can then individually edit the boards at corners to set the correct width, end condition.

You'll feel like a virtual sidewaller when your done...