Thread: Sloping pad

Login to Give a bone

I have a site that slopes and ideally I would like to model the ground conditions in a way that will be picked up in section, i.e. I want the hardstanding adjacent a building to show its make up and to show a sharp level change at the kerb.

Site tools don't give me this and where I have, say, a slabbed area the slab does not show a surface texture so repeat drawings have involved lots of cutting and pasting of filled regions. If I use a standard pad I don't seem to be able to apply a slope arrow to it, so the build up of materials doesn't do quite what I want it to. Anyone know a way around this?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sloping pad

Those single malts must be slurring your posts PJ.

Can you use a sloped floor slab ( or series thereof ) with a surface pattern ? This would work OK in section, depending on the crop extent, and in plan , depending on the complexity of the surface being modelled.

Seems too obvious though, so I must be missing something.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure I understand, an image of what you're after would help me.

If you are trying to depict the adjacent grade more accurately and it isn't doing so, have you experimented with a smaller contour increment to increase the modeling of the contours? Also, the depth of view will affect how much site change is visible.

I've taken to assigning no pattern to the site material in Site Settings and increasing the object properties line weight for cut so I get a fat line for the grade with no fill. I use linework to make the foundation hidden by using wireframe and then restoring hidden line.

Then I use a earth pattern in filled regions for wall sections. If the site is modeled reasonably well, I'd end up with a fat line that tracks the earth cut at my section cut.

Naturally, I'll post this, re-read your post for the fourth time and it will make sense and realize that this post is gibberish...I apologize in advance!

Login to Give a bone

I'll toy with the sloped floor slab, beegee. I was really just curious as to whether it could be done with the pad as if I use the floor I still have to have a pad to do the topo cut and fill which seems redundant.

Maybe I'll just draft it all.

Steve, I have reread your post for the fourth time and you are right it still looks like gibberish to me. What is the line in these circumstances? 'Get the wax out of your ears'?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJ
    Maybe I'll just draft it all.
    Yeah, I think you're right. Just do it all in Autocad. Lots easier.

I could stop if I wanted to funkman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This to me is the biggest and most serious deficency in the amazing revit world.

To split a topo surface and be able to call it up as "tarmacaderm" or "cast in situ concrete" or whatever and then not have the ability to automatically assign material depth/layers to this is pathetic. Works nice in plan but we are not designing in plan in revitworld.inc.

To have to continously do filled regions is quite simply a waste of time. Especially in Sydney when the topogrpahy is continously changing, roads and footpaths and building sites are never flat. This has led to such time wasting its not funny.

Revit please fix this up, or if anyone does have a workaround besides 1. filled regions and 2.autocad then please let us know!!

rant over

Login to Give a bone

I had to look at something in AutoCAD today. Ouch.

I don't mind drafting bits and pieces in Revit when necessary but I do get frustrated by this issue with the site tools. I'll play with it some more, see whether in place families or ramps will help. Things needs to go out to tender this week so I don't have much time for experimentation.

Login to Give a bone

I've always built curbs via profile sweeps. If what you're trying to do is differentiate layers of the site (like in a wall section) maybe you can use filled regions in Martin's "symbolic line sweeps."

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/php...=sweep+section

Login to Give a bone

Create the pad. then create a floor slab over it. then model a floor void at the slope require to cut from the floor slab. which will give you a sloped floor slab. Now in the views necessary switch off the pads visibilty. Major work around. You could also use ramps but they require some thought on iclines and rubbish. quicker to just draw the void