Thread: Autocad 2012 and Windows 7 64bit

Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad 2012 and Windows 7 64bit

We purchased all new machines, the specs are...

Dell Precision T1600
    Processors (x4) - Intl(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31225 @ 3.10GHz
    16GB of ram
    Windows 7 64bit
    NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Autocad 2012 runs horrible and I cannot figure out why. Just about anything I do I am getting (not responding) for 10 to 20 seconds. It is really bad when messing with sheet set manager.

I have installed SP1 for autocad and windows 7 is up to date. Anyone else having this much trouble?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2012 and Windows 7 64bit

dude, you got a dell! that's problem 1. even worse, a Xeon processor- which is pronounced as 'money flushed away ' processor.

but seriously, what are you comparing to? OS, Cad version, hardware?

Win7 is markedly faster at flashing the 'not responding' spinning wheel, partially just because it's more efficient at multi-tasking whereas acad is not.

Some basic steps to improve performance would be to use CLASSICLAYER rather than layer, close the property and other palettes until actually in use (not just autohide), leave the command line docked, turn off dynamic input, and probably one of the best suggestions is to go the the manusoft website, and look for the free tool to uninstall the communication center.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2012-07-18 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spilling

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the reply's. I am mainly getting (not responding) on every dialog box that opens up. I don't use palettes or dynamic input. My screen is pretty much bare minus sheet set and properties on either side of the screen. I am oldschool and type every command. I have hardware accelerator turned on and besides autocad the only other program running is outlook. I guess I was just fishing for some known issues with running windows 7 and autocad 2012. I am also having the same trouble in 2013, but 2012 and 2013 revit run great. Its a real kick in the pants to have my machine hang up on every dialog box for 10 20 30 seconds when it should be way faster then the machine I had before.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It also depends on what you are doing. Unnecessarily high level of detail can drag things down signfiicantly, as can trying to do design work in rendered views (stupid question time - hardware acceleration is ON, right?). Turning off transparency can help. Saving down to earlier versions with SAVEFIDELITY can slow things down, as well as accidentally turning on the auto-DWF publish on save. If the dynamic input box overlaps an open palette, it can cause the cursor movement to get jittery.

Sounds like swinging a cat in the dark, but "runs horribly" covers a LOT of ground.

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Also, don't run aero themes in your background settings..

Login to Give a bone

Make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date....if they are still the OOTB drivers they are too old....

I have a Quadro 2000 with the performance drivers installed and have no issues with AutoCAD 2012...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, good point. It seems Nvidia updates the drivers every month or so. We run Dell and have found the Dell DCSU software helpful ;

http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...em-update.aspx

It will scan your system for driver updates, and finds obscure drivers you thought you never used that actually affect performance. But sometimes Nvidia has newer drivers than Dell, so check there after checking Dell;

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx