See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Should I use revit server or VPN/Remote Desktop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Should I use revit server or VPN/Remote Desktop

I have just started a new job and have been given the task to research local and remote users accessing revit projects. After a little research I think I need a little input to see which path to follow.

Currently there are 2 revit stations in the office and we have a consultant who works from a home office with their own licensed seat of revit. We currently have revit 2012 installed but can update them to 2013. I think the office server is Windows Server 2003.

We want to have a central file that can be accessed by the users in the office and also by the remote consultant. There might be the occasional user working from home but that would be minimal. The main question is, should I try to set up a revit server in the office or a setup a VPN for the remote user?

If I set up the revit server can the remote user access the file without setting up a revit server at his location? He works on a home network without server software.

Then the other part in I want to avoid the Remote Desktop because we do not have a third seat license nor a powerful enough computer to run revit. So I am trying to avoid the cost factor. This leads to the VPN. I think if I set up a VPN then the remote user can access the project without any additional costs.

After reading through I think it comes down to Revit server or VPN? What are the main advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks

<edit> also is Autodesk 360 an option for a solution? I will be researching this a little further <edit>
    Last edited by StephenJ; 2012-07-20 at 08:51 PM.