Thread: Revit server rsi.ini deployment

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit server rsi.ini deployment

Hi All,

I successfully install the revit server base from book instructions.
    now i am confuse how to put the RSI.ini
    is it necessary to put rsi.ini to all client pc including to the server?
    what is the content of .ini?
    individual PC name or I need to put all the pc name in 1 notepad and save to all PC and server.

thanks to all.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit server rsi.ini deployment

The RSN.ini (Revit Server Network) is a text file, that stores the name of the Revit Server. You can store the server name, DNS or the IP address for the Revit Server. You can store multiple Revit Servers in this file; but less is more. You should only store the Revit Server you need immediately. Furthermore, all computers within the same Revit Server Network should have the same RSN.ini file. Having inconsistent RSN.ini files, or superfluous entries can slow down the project considerably.

The RSN.ini file is located here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\%RevitServerVersion%\Config

An explanation may also be found in the Autodesk WikiHelp: http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/20...7-DBBBBF00FC93
    Last edited by meng005; 2014-01-21 at 05:35 PM.

Login to Give a bone

hi Meng005,

i try to check the internet explorer if my server exist and its ok.

now the problem is when i try to connect my client computer create local or accessing revit server network ir says this operation could not be completed.

in my recent thread i use virtual machine, but now i use separate server and i follow your advice about ping and tel net. in ping no problem but telnet says that could not open connection to the host port 808.
    how can i solve this port issue?

currently we are using revit as worksharing through LAN with no problem, but now my boss ask me to use revit server.

any advise?

thanks
    Last edited by markclarenzze; 2014-01-22 at 08:51 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by markclarenzze View Post
    hi Meng005,

....but telnet says that could not open connection to the host port 808....
    Hi Mark,

It sounds like a firewall issue. If you type in Windows Firewall in the search box from the Windows Start button, you should be able to add separate inbound and outbound rules to allow port 808. You will need administrative privileges to do this. If your VM is in a separate office, you may have to open the firewall on any routers or even the ISP. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-firewall

hth. Markus.

Login to Give a bone

thanks meng005,

can you make a screenshot of good firewall setting for revit.

is the firewall setting need to configure for both revit server and revit workstation?

thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

inbound-port808.JPG
    Go ahead and create inbound and outbound Windows Firewall rules.
    Per the screenshot, you want to create the rule for port 808.

I would start with adding the inbound/outbound rules on the Revit Server host. Test.
    Then, move down the chain: Revit Server accelerator, user workstation, etc.

Login to Give a bone

HI Meng005,

now my revit server works,

can you help me about admin works which is i want to restrict the central model,
    for example i have 10 users that have their own ip address, and i want my revit server only giving access to that specific users.

another is i have another site office around 100km away, how can i make that site office 1 and site office 2 can communicate via accelerator and host.
    what are the things that i need to add?my boss dont want to use vpn.

thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

HI Meng005,

...i have 10 users that have their own ip address, and i want my revit server only giving access to that specific users.
    thanks
    Mark,

Sorry, but I'm not a systems administrator, so your questions are more IT related. Revit Server proper does not have a way to restrict users explicitly by subnet or IP address. You can manage access by limiting who has the RSN.ini on their local workstation. Revit Server does not have an explicit security system.

Imaginit Clarity Workshare, which runs on top of Autodesk Revit Server, adds a security layer. However, it is an additional expense. http://www.imaginit.com/software-sol...aginit-clarity

HI Meng005,

...i have another site office around 100km away, how can i make that site office 1 and site office 2 can communicate via accelerator and host.
    thanks
    If the remote site is part of the same domain (network) then you shouldn't have to make any adjustments to the typical Revit Server set up. However, if the site office is for a separate firm, then you have few choices: either set up a VPN, or a trusted domain network. Since I am not a system administrator, I do not know how to set up either of these. I rely on our IT staff

Login to Give a bone

Hi Meng005,

thanks for the quick response, yeah as long that rsn.ini didnot exist to client pc then it can not access the revit server.
    but somewhere in google i read something how to limit the users in revit server. i will try again to find the site and late i will share if it really works fine.

another is, if i have already connect to domain, is it possible to access my revit file and in my laptop without any accelerator?

thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by markclarenzze; 2014-02-07 at 04:11 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Meng005,

... if i have already connect to domain, is it possible to access my revit file and in my laptop without any accelerator?

thanks,
    Mark
    Absolutely. Revit Server 2013 and later will automatically connect to the host server, if an accelerator is not available. However, I don't know of a way to explicitly force the Revit client to connect directly to a host server. If the workstation is in the same LAN as the host, you probably won't notice any performance degradation. If the host server is in a separate office, you will notice slowness, especially if the network is congested. Markus.