Thread: Structural framing

Wish List Administration

Default Structural framing

Summary: I wish the software developers would go produce a set of drawings, particularly, a set with structural framing drawings that someone has to build, price and order from. Then after that, fix the user interface for structural framing. Just getting it to look right (floor plan half-toned in the background) is a chore without messing up everything in your project. Then try to show columns under posts and roof framing members at different pitches, and eave ladder framing, structural fascias, ridgebeams, hangers) you guys have not a clue! I'm new to Revit. That might be part of it but there is nothing intuitive about this. It sucks and I'm thinking my office should use autocad for structural drawings and revit for architecture, but how dumb is that?!

Description: I wish the software developers would go produce a set of drawings, particularly, a set with structural framing drawings that someone has to build, price and order from. Then after that, fix the user interface for structural framing. Just getting it to look right (floor plan half-toned in the background) is a chore without messing up everything in your project. Then try to show columns under posts and roof framing members at different pitches, and eave ladder framing, structural fascias, ridgebeams, hangers) you guys have not a clue! I'm new to Revit. That might be part of it but there is nothing intuitive about this. It sucks and I'm thinking my office should use autocad for structural drawings and revit for architecture, but how dumb is that?!

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Structural members

Submitted By: Chris Briley on 07/25/2012

Default Re: Structural framing

I can certainly understand your frustration with the interface, but as far as I know - REVIT is fully-capable of producing a set of accurate, and graphically detailed structural framing drawings.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. Revit can be very frustrating as you go through the training process. Do you have a Revit expert in your office, or at least a past colleague or even your software reseller that you can call on with your questions?

Revit can do everything that you are trying to do here.

When you select an element (say, a wall, for instance) you then right click on the element and hit Override Graphics in View and then By Category. This will pop up a dialogue box with a bunch of options in it. Hit the halftone button. Now, all of the walls in the view will be halftone. Perfect for structural drawings. Once you have your view setup the way you like doing this with a number of other model element categories, or even turning some off, then you can create a view template from that view and apply those properties you created to as many views as you like so that you don't have to do it in each view individually.

If you still have trouble, there are many qualified professionals on this forum that are willing and able to help you through your troubles with the platform.

I've been on Revit for a decade, and never even open Autocad except to view consultant drawings.

Cheers and welcome to Revit!

100 Club

Revit 2013 has a lot more structural design tools to offer, but one thing that it lacks as far as I can tell is an Unfold feature, like AutoDesSys | formZ -- you can model anything and it will automatically and almost instantly create CAM sheet layouts for building a physical model. the same principle would work perfectly with many of Revit's component types (eg Door / Window schedules, Structural Steel, Panel layouts, Truss Framing, etc).